Help ID this lucky pied clutch

I can in the nearish future. She’s been a bit slow to get back on food consistently after this clutch so want to minimize any stress til she’s back up to weight.

3 Likes

Ok. I think it would be helpful to confirm her

2 Likes

The 3 other than the second to bottom are definitely much brighter and cleaner than that one. But it is possible that it’s from the mystery gene too, as it does tend to clean up normal pattern.

1 Like

Is the mystery gene Black Head?

2 Likes

The one with the darker head would probably be a normal Pied most likely.

1 Like

Honestly, they look enchi pied to me, not seeing vanilla at all. But I’ll admit, I have a ways to go with pieds before I feel confident on id’s without knowing the parent genes. Still, a nice group of lookers. :eyes:
Great luck on the odds. :+1:

4 Likes

These are all low-white pieds, I really don’t see anything else at play here. I don’t see any fire/vanilla in there, and these certainly aren’t enchi.

3 Likes

OK, cool. I was just guessing the mysterious “other” gene. It seems to me like enchi in pied tends to produce a long section of pattern before the first band, and they mostly seem to low white as well. That was the whole basis for my guess. :grin: :man_shrugging:

So he got lucky and hit pied for all of them, and then strangely got all low white as well. :thinking:

That’s pretty neat! :+1:

3 Likes

Wow, what a nice clutch!
Even if they don’t have vanilla, they’re all lookers.
As for the mystery gene, is it recessive or co-dom?
Or is it a gene you might have discovered? :smirk:

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for the feedback! After all the comments and looking through a ton of Vanilla Pied examples, plus all the hatchlings she’s produced, I’m pretty confident that the breeder made a mistake with her genetics. I think she is just a nice normal Pied.

The mystery gene is something that people are just now starting to have a few visual Pied examples coming out or have been secretive about from last season. So figuring that one out will take some time to confirm one way or the other. I should be updating this thread as I learn more and watch their colors come in.

It’s also the same odds that completely missed that other gene as odds I got these 4 visuals. So definitely a possibility although kind of unlikely.

2 Likes

Is it special then?:smirk:
Regardless, I personally look forward to updates.
I love a good mystery.

1 Like

This clutch has been growing and looking better every day! I’ve got an update for a few of them (one’s in shed right now.)

I took some photos of each of the ones I believe are [redacted] pied next to what is probably a normal pied. Let me know what you think!

5 Likes

Interesting crossbar patterns, what does it look like without the pied I wonder.:thinking::+1:

The last one shed last week and I got some pictures of him. He’s arguably the most bright looking of the clutch!

6 Likes

I finally got around to getting a nice pic of the mother to this clutch. I’m still on the fence to whether she’s vanilla or not without a normal pied to compare with. The brighter of the hatchlings these days really has me wondering too as she seems to be getting even lighter than her two brothers that I believe are the same 2 genes otherwise.

Here’s a picture of dad too just to show what I’m working with on these hatchlings. Anyone ready to guess the gene?

4 Likes

Dad looks almost like a normal :flushed:

1 Like

I think that’s been a reason that this morph has been underrated for a long time. It’s really hard to get across the difference in color and “clean” look of these especially in the single gene.

He also fathered this other clutch with a plain bamboo. The results were way more than I was even expecting!
https://community.morphmarket.com/t/a-little-late-showing-off-some-holdbacks-from-21-season/27585/4

Is he a vanilla?

Is the male gold blush? If so that’s amazing what it does in combos looking at that bamboo clutch

Not goldblush, but that would be a really interesting pairing to try with it I think!

2 Likes