Help to identify this beauty?

4 Likes

Looks to be a common bci

2 Likes

Not that Iā€™m complaining because sheā€™s still a beautiful snake, but we got her from a reptile shop that told us sheā€™s a 100% het albino Sharpe :thinking:

Het albino is recessive, so you wouldnā€™t be able to see this in the appearance.

2 Likes

So does that mean she could be? Sorry Iā€™m new to all this and donā€™t know a great deal

Right, recessive genes are only visible when homozygous. When heterozygous, their appearance is unchanged. Hereā€™s a decent tutorial:

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?52847-A-Lesson-in-Basic-Genetics

3 Likes

She very well could be het Sharpā€¦the only way to know for sure is to breed her to a visual Sharpā€¦or get a ā€˜for sureā€™ 100% het Sharp from a reputable breeder. But keep in mind that a visual albino breeding to her would be the best option to prove her out. If you get visual albinos from the breeding (about half the litter should be visuals in a visual to het breeding)ā€¦then you know for sure she is a het. I have seen het to het breedings not produce visual albinosā€¦this is very rare but it does happenā€¦het to het breedings will USUALLY result in about 25% of your litter being visual albinos. I have however never seen a het to visual breeding not produce visualsā€¦not saying it could not happen, but I have never seen it. Good luck and congrats on your beautiful new boa!

1 Like

@rickmoss1977 thanks for thatšŸ‘šŸ¼ Iā€™ll have to have a look whatā€™s about