Help with ball python rescue

Just looking for advice. My boyfriend and I got a ball python and he has shed stuck on his eyes and it looks like dirt bedding in his mouth. He can’t even close his mouth. Anyone know the best way to get rid of it?

5 Likes

Hello, as far as the stuck shed, you can make a humidity box to hopefully help with the shed on his eyes. I believe I read that he could become blind if the eye caps (shed) don’t come off. Really though, I’d take him to a reptile vet if you can find one in your area. Do you have a photo of the stuff in his mouth? I normally use tweezers to pull out any aspen bedding if one of my snakes is struggling with it but your issue sounds serious. I posted a link below for how to make a humidity box for the stuck shed. I’m sure others who are more experienced than me will chime in with other advice or ideas. Good luck with him, it’s a good first step asking your question on here because there are so many knowledgeable people who can guide you in the right direction!

4 Likes

I don’t have any pictures of the stuff in his mouth at this time. I tried with tweezers to get it out but it seems caked on. Maybe try water with it I was thinking? Looking into reptile vets as well! Thanks!

6 Likes

Is it stuff in his mouth, or could it be mouth rot/infection of some sort?

7 Likes

Pictures with the snake’s mouth open and closed would be worth a lot in judging what the issue could be.

Vet is never going to be a bad choice in a situation like this either.

8 Likes

Added a picture to the original post. I feel so bad for the guy he seems like he needs a good soak and that stuff out of his mouth. Otherwise he’s drinking and moving around fine

6 Likes

I would second the reccomendation to see a vet, this is pretty advanced dehydration, and given his mouth and the state of his skin I’d also worry about a respiratory infection

9 Likes

I’m gonna call the vet in the morning. Thanks everyone! For now I’ll try a humidity box to see if I can give some comfort until then !

7 Likes

I agree just make a vet appointment now. There’s often a wait so just get it on the books asap.

Everything after this, just remember I’m not a vet and this is not veterinary advice

I would think in the meantime a daily soak in lukewarm water could help with the dehydration and stuck shed. Maybe after a soak see if the stuff softens up and can come out of their mouth gently. Remember their teeth are hooks that don’t let things out so you may need to hold their mouth open and gently clean inward and upward to dislodge it. If it’s been stuck there a while it could also be infected which could complicate things.

Also for now I would keep them in a sterile disinfected environment like just damp paper towels, a couple plastic hides and a water dish. Make sure the humidity is staying around 60% and they have a 90F warm spot under a hide.

I’m also concerned about possible respiratory infection if their mouth has been stuck open that badly. A vet check up is going to be worth clearing all this kind of stuff up.

8 Likes

Vets have been messaged! One opens up at 7 tomorrow morning so I’ll call them again. Thanks for the advice in the meantime! Gonna try and work on it again tonight

8 Likes

Can he close his mouth with all that stuff in it? If so I would immediately put him in some warm water and let him soak for about 30 minutes tonight. He looks miserable. He definitely needs to be removed from loose substrate and put on paper towels.

It is imperative that he be seen by a reptile vet ASAP, so I am glad you are making the effort. The eye caps need to come off asap. I think maybe he has been kept on something like dirt for a substrate and fed on that substrate, therefore eating the substrate along with his food. This is just a guess because imho, his mouth looks like it’s full of dirt.

He has got to be miserable. Keep him hydrated with daily warm soaks until he sees the vet. It is fairly easy to remove eye caps and I can send you a video as to how to do it if need be but it would be best if a vet does it.

Please let us know what happens with this guy! :blush:

6 Likes

Thank you! Unfortunately the vet won’t be in until tomorrow but they said if I call they could get me in same day instead of sitting on the waitlist. He has been moved to paper towel bedding for the mean time and when I get home from work later I will let him soaking and try to work at the stuff in his mouth some more!

6 Likes

Oh that’s great! Tomorrow is better than next week! As long as you soak him to give him some relief, you might just need to leave his mouth alone and let the vet take care of it. Also, soaking will make it easier to remove his eye caps.

Take care and God bless you and keep us posted!

5 Likes

Have to agree with others.
Paper towels for bedding, humidity I would shoot for 70%, heat no higher then 90°, if you can pick up some reptile electrolyte soak, I would use it with the soak. I would soak for 30 min. Gently rub off any loose shed. The soak might help loosen up what is in his mouth. Keep us posted on what the vet says and his ongoing condition.

6 Likes

Hello, just checking in on your rescue.

4 Likes

Yes thank you! Great news. I managed to get most of the stuff out of his mouth the night before the vet visit and he was able to close his mouth. The vet said it probably wasn’t in there long and he has no infection thankfully. The stuck eye caps were able to be taken off and he has eaten fine since then!

7 Likes

Oh my gosh, I am so, so happy he is recovering! Thank you for taking care of him, and for taking him to the vet and not giving up on him!

2 Likes

Congrats! I hope he recovers well.

2 Likes

That is fantastic news! I just felt so sorry for him! He must be a very tolerant snake to let you mess with his mouth. So glad he’s with someone who cares about him! God bless you!

Btw does he have a name? :snake::blush:

2 Likes

Yes he sat so still for me to get the stuff out of his mouth I was surprised. But his demeanor has been very calm so far from what I noticed! And thank you so much! I was not ready to give up on him, I felt so bad too. I’m glad it seems we got him before it was too advanced. And his name is Pedro!

4 Likes