Hognose…. Talk me into it

Third picture is Bellatrix an Albino Conda and mother of the clutch from last year. She also very much lives up to her name (all but one of my hogs have Harry Potter themed names).

3 Likes

Lol true :rofl:

3 Likes

I can’t answer for others but none of mine have ever “died”. In general it takes a pretty significant stressor for them to do that, so not the best situation. The exception to that are newly hatched babies, they can be so stinkin dramatic that it just can’t be helped. Like you just peak into the incubator and they roll over lol

3 Likes

Usually only fresh hatchlings or wild specimens do that, however I do have a girl called Diglett who will huff and bluff strike every time I open her bin. She sometimes manages to throw herself trying to prove she’s big and scary. :rofl:

2 Likes

What about puffing up or flattening out their head to look like a little cobra? Does that happen much? Lol

I’m thinking I want to try to grab an albino anaconda or albino superconda. I like the pattern with anaconda but I also like the look of a super conda with a stripe

3 Likes

I thought that was the genetics, I really like the look of that combo. So it’s nice to see more examples of adults. Hogs don’t seem to lose as much color as they age as ball pythons can/do it seems

1 Like

That very much happens with Diglett. My two others, Togepi and Eevee, are a little more chill, but if startled will also hood up/puff.

2 Likes

You’re definitely in the wrong place if you were hoping for a no :joy:

4 Likes

There will probably be a bit of an adjusting period like with most animals, but yes.

Hognoses really are characters. I absolutely adore my ball python as well, but he’s not nearly as personable.

I’ve never seen one doing that in person. From what I know it’s more of a wild hognose thing.

3 Likes

I’m so tempted man. I love the big hognoses that I see on IG a lot of the time. :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Lol I don’t think I came in here hoping or expecting a no. My wife maybe would hope someone could talk me out of it, but not me!

3 Likes

They so tiny! Don’t take much room, especially vertically. Even a large female isn’t huge. Plus there is an under-available here in the US, hence any popular morphs being quite expensive! So breeding could be a worthwhile endeavor.

To be clear I don’t currently keep them, but looked into it quite heavily at one point, and along with House Snakes would really like to as I think they are cool and will only grow in popularity.

4 Likes

Hoagie hisses at me quite frequently and does strike occasionally. I have seen him puff up at me and flatten out like the tiny cobra he thinks he is and I am pretty sure he has rolled over a couple of times! I feel like I am doing him an injustice because I can’t figure out how to get him to eat consistently. There is one thing I would like to try and that is chicken hearts. However I cannot find them in the store.

Truly though, hoggies are really cool, especially if eating is not an issue…… :lizard::frog::snake::blush:

2 Likes

My little guy has been the absolute sweetest since the day I got him. He actively desires to come out of his enclosure most days and is happy to chill with me. No one so far has met him and not fallen for him, regardless of how they felt about snakes before. I’m entirely unconcerned about letting children pet/handle him (under supervision, of course, for his safety) because I know it doesn’t bother him and he’s never been defensive with people before.

I’ve also had no issues with him eating. He had a 20 day food strike at the beginning of the cold season, which I expected, and then went right back to eating. He also doesn’t eat during shed but that’s normal for nearly any snake. If anything, he’s a little piggy that would eat every day if I offered.

Apart from resting after meals he’s pretty much always on the surface exploring his enclosure. He’s actually been in a 40g since he was about 4 months old because he is so active that his 15g baby enclosure just wasn’t enough space for him to be properly enriched. He does spend some days digging on occasion, but he’s always on the surface for food day.

Here’s my favorite pics of my baby-

8 Likes

Most personality of any snakes I’ve owned. Started with one now I have 7 with another on the way. Even my husband who was extremely neutral about them loves them now. Not much else to say :wink:

5 Likes

I am firmly team hognose. I fell in love with them through watching Snake Discovery a few years ago, decided to hop in and I adore them. I only have two currently, because it’s illegal to breed them here in Illinois since they’re a native threatened species, but my two girls have so much personality. So hissy when I’m getting them out (which is adorable, because no matter how many times they strike it’s always a bluff, they never even open their mouths) but sweet and very inquisitive and they move and act so differently from any other species. I really hope the Illinois legislation succeeds so that we can breed them here as hobbyists, currently you have to be a zoo or research facility.

7 Likes

Yeah, I’ve heard about Illinois having strict requirements on that. I’m in Indiana (I only live 15 miles from the border though!) so I don’t have to worry about that for now.

Brings up a good point though, I had planned to potentially go to tinley NARBC to look at some, but can vendors sell them there like they would in other states?

2 Likes

Yes! There are tons of hognoses at Tinley. It’s not at all difficult to keep them here, the permit is free and easy to apply for, you just can’t breed them in the state. So breeders from Indiana, Minnesota, further south, etc. bring hognoses and they sell really well at Tinley. Tom Harbin is always at Tinley and I got my first girl from him, I think he tends to do really well with the hogs at Tinley. I haven’t bought one in person since I bought from Tom (which I did while I was still down in Texas) but my guess is at Tinley they ask you for an ID and if your ID is an IL state ID, they have to see your permit before they sell. If you’re from another state, I doubt it would be an issue.

3 Likes

Good to know! I’d like to get some hands on or see some more in person before 100% committing to one. I’ve heard nothing but good things so far though.
Tinley or the Midwest reptile expo in Indy will be where I likely check some of them out at least.

2 Likes

Another question for you Hognose keepers, is an ambient temp of 82-84 too warm for a Hognose? I could always drop my ambient down to 79-81 ish in my snake room. All my racks have heat, but I just try to keep the ambient up.

2 Likes