Hoping to hit some hets

Basilius and Big Smile are both first-time prospective parents. He’s a 2yo so I wasn’t sure if the pairing would happen, but they did have a successful lock. She’s had her prelay shed and been lying atop her nest box until this morning. Dan says she’s inside it now.

Both come from lines which produce friendly, lovely babies. Many have been classroom pets and education animals. Basilius is a Diffused Caramel Masque who is 66% ph Amel, Stripe, 50% ph Anery, Hypo. He is only 2yo, and as time passes he looks more and more like his handsome sire Artephius. Big Smile is a Butter Stripe het Anery, Hypo possibly Halo. Depending upon what hets Basilius has, and if Big Smile is Halo, this could be a wildly varying clutch. Or they could be 100% visual Caramel het Amel, Diffused, Stripe, 50% ph Anery, Hypo. If there are enough babies, I should get answers to Basilius’s possible hets. Either way, I can use these combined bloodlines.

8 Likes

Good luck with the clutch, Caryl! So he’s the son of that crazy Serpenco Caramel Blood I’ve seen pics of long ago?

5 Likes

Thanks!

He is, indeed. Artephius was an adult when I got him, but it seems to me that Basilius is growing up very much in his image. He’s developing the metallic look. Artephius himself is still going strong. He’s Here’s a recent pic. He is 21 this year!

8 Likes

Wow! That’s its own phenotype. Phenomenal. Keep it going! Don’t let it disappear like Don’s Rosy Bloods.

6 Likes

I agree, 100%! I fell in love the first time I saw a picture of these. I think it’s recognizably different from most Diffused Caramels. I have held onto a few Artephius babies over the years who grew up to look like him. Basilius was the only visual Diffused Caramel in Artephius’s 2022 clutches. I’ve got several growing up now. I really want to make more next year!

7 Likes

I’ll be keeping an eye out. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

What a handsome, distinguished, older gentleman! I don’t think I’ve ever seen a corn snake with colors like his! Love the metallic sheen :yellow_heart: Artephius is absolutely stunning and I love the name :blush:

6 Likes

Thank you! My visual Caramels have generally had magical or mythical names. I absolutely love this metallic look, too. All of the visual Diffused Caramel offspring he’s sired have been similar. Artephius is just as personable as he is handsome, too. When I started breeding again, I was hoping for a “new generation” male with this look. Basilius is it.

5 Likes

Oooh, very cool pairing! Can’t wait to see what they produce!

5 Likes

Lots of extremely cool possibilities, and a new combination of bloodlines to work with. I keep telling myself not to expect too much. I keep expecting too much anyway!

5 Likes

She’s laying! When Dan checked on Big Smile this morning he saw two eggs. He though she might have more but couldn’t really tell without disturbing her. He said they look good. Hooray and fingers crossed!

4 Likes

Excellent! :crossed_fingers:t2::pray:t2::four_leaf_clover:

4 Likes

Go mama! Fingers crossed for all the precious pearly whites out and ready for incubation soon!

3 Likes

I am thrilled to report that Big Smile is now the proud mama of 18 eggs! (Dan said one is hidden in the picture.) That’s a respectable first clutch for two first time parents, especially with a single confirmed lock. Dan said that she started yesterday and was done at this morning’s check. She came through like a champ and took a fuzzy afterwards. Should get some answers about possible hets in about 60 days. :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

Excellent!! I hope for a great clutch. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you! I’m very happy about the possibilities.

3 Likes

Yay, great clutch! Look at those funky lines!

3 Likes

Thanks!

Right?? I’m wondering what’s up with those. I’ve had eggs with stars and dimples and windows and other imperfections. Haven’t seen anything sequential like these lines. Hey, do you think maybe the eggs with lines have Stripe babies inside? :wink: jk of course, but wouldn’t it be fun if it were fact? :joy:

4 Likes