Hoping to hit some hets. Didn't, but that's OK

If she’s gonna double against your wishes, it was considerate of her to do it without complication!

5 Likes

Aw, silly girl. Well I’m glad she got them out without issue.

5 Likes

It’s about to get a whole lot busier, too. Thursday is Day 60 for the first clutch (Allstar x Annelie). Big Smile always makes smile, ever since she crawled out of her egg and right to my hand. “Big Smile” is a yellow tulip cultivar. Her dam was named Tulip because of her headstamp. Tulip was one of my foundation animals from Kathy Love. I’ve tried to use tulip names for her daughters I kept.

6 Likes

It was considerate of her to pop them out quickly and easily. I swear though, I wish there was a way to get them to stop after the first clutch. Maybe something you could sprinkle on their meal, like with a calcium supplement. I’d happily pay a pretty good price for that.

6 Likes

Hmmmm let’s ponder a powder packed poultice possibility!!!

Edit to add: Little Oberon said he would help too! He’s fast asleep in his new half log and stretch horizontally, so his spine is in its correct position, and all you can see is his little tail!

4 Likes

Well, oddly enough, the odds didn’t pan out. :roll_eyes: Out of 18 eggs, I got 18 healthy hatchlings last week, so yay! Crazily though, out of Basilius’s four possible hets, it doesn’t look like he actually carries any of them. Only 6 are Masque, which is also below odds. :laughing: Ah, well, I’ve got babies who combine these bloodlines to add to my efforts to make more who look like Artephius and Basilius. They are all 100% het for Amel and for Stripe, as well a 50% ph Anery and Hypo from their dam. (Edit: they’re also het Diffused from their sire.) I’ll count this as a win. :confetti_ball:

The first three shed overnight. I think I’ve got 11.7. Here is my “picture tax” payment.

6 Likes

Beautiful hatchlings you’ve got, and so awesome to continue Artephius’ amazing lineage! Bummer on the odds not panning out, but I wouldn’t necessarily consider the pos hets out of the question without another couple of clutches. I had a pairing last year that absolutely should have given me Ultramel Aneries, and yet I seemingly didn’t get a single one in a 15 egg clutch.

4 Likes

Still some nice babies. I always loved straight masques, or “het bloods” as we thought they were in the old days. It definitely tweaks color a bit too. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks, my friend. I’m not completely discounting the possibility of a couple of those hets actually being there. They are odds, not rules nature must follow. I’ve also had pairings which “should” have produced things which just didn’t show. Come to think of it, the clutch with Basilius was one of those. Artephius produced Amel Stripes with two other females. Princess Irene was absolutely het for both of those, because her dam was an Amel Stripe. Neither Amel nor Stripe showed up in the clutch of 15. So maybe.

4 Likes

Thank you, sir. Haha, I remember the whole “het marker for Diffusion” thing. And several other things, too. :laughing: I wonder sometimes what else will be figured out, discounted, or accounted for in the future.

3 Likes

Ooh that first one has a really nice jagged look to his pattern.

5 Likes

Beautiful young uns no matter! Congratulations and so glad you are feeling better! :heart:

4 Likes

Thanks, @solarserpents and @caron. Healthy hatchlings are always a good thing.

I agree - although that’s HER pattern in this case. At least, she’s popped female twice. Could still be a boy, though. I don’t record female sex in ink this soon unless they’re transparent enough to candle. :joy:

5 Likes

I always enjoy looking at little things like head stamps. I don’t have any Star Wars symbols like @solarserpents did last year, but this baby has a sweet star.

5 Likes

“She” is certainly a looker! That’s for sure!

4 Likes

beautiful babies!

3 Likes

Thank you, @ghostowlmerlin. I’m sorry I thought I had replied earlier. Guess I didn’t click “send.”

They’ve all shed and all but one have taken their first meal today! Yay! Here are a few of their sweet little fresh faces and a few full bellies, too.

6 Likes

Nice! So glad those first meals went well.

4 Likes

Lookin good at Caryl’s house! :pray:

4 Likes

Yes ma’am, me too!! Healthy babies hatching is a huge blessing. I still hold my breath until they start feeding!

4 Likes