How do we address the pervasive ghosting

This is where Buyers History score could be used… these numbers are just examples, not set in stone.

Level 1 = 3
Level 2 = 5
Level 3 (by which point you should have leant MM-etiquette of closing inquiries) = 10
Level 4 + = No limits

12 Likes

OK, I feel like that is an appropriate safeguard

9 Likes

I see all sides of this. From someone who has been in the tech industry for many years, I believe in getting to the point and not wasting time on ongoing replies. I know some people like to be informed on every step and there are some that just want to do as little communication as possible. Personally, I think it is a wast of time going back in and opening something that just says “thanks”. But then again, when I inquire, I also try to let it be known that I am just looking for more information, like starting out with something like"I may be interested". When I don’t reply to just thank them, it is because I know what it is like being busy and taking the time to open something that really has no more effect on the conversation. Not everyone who “abruptly” ends something is ghosting or being rude. Try having to respond to 500+ emails several more text a day and having half of them be “thank you”. I never intend to be rude, but I also know some people will take how I respond or not respond as being rude. When in sales, I think you need to have thicker skin and know not everyone will buy and most of inquires will be a dead end. Sorry for being so long, just trying to get some points across. And by the way, I am not the OP potential buyer lol.

10 Likes

if I’m adding an animal to my collection, you can be sure I’m doing my homework. I will kick a lot of tires, only when I send money should you consider an animal I’m considering sold. in return this is how I feel when I’m selling. happy thanksgiving!

6 Likes

As a buyer who has purchased way more than 4 animals on MM, and as a seller who has had several inquiries start (AND END) with “I want to purchase this animal!” I really like the idea of having a limited number of allowable inquiries before requiring people to close them.

I really don’t think there are many of us selling so many animals that we would have an unreasonable amount of inquiries to get annoyed at should we get “ok thanks” end replies.

I know of quite a few sellers who actually no longer offer payment plans because of a lack of follow-up by buyers/tire kickers. And as someone who has often purchased using payment plans, and that can be crushing for small-time hobbyists looking to break through that particular barrier to entry into becoming a reputable breeder with quality animals.

In the very small time I’ve been selling on MM (the only place I sell), I persoannly don’t take buyers with a level 2 or below all that seriously because there have been so many who never follow up even after saying they definitely want to buy the animal they inquired about. Of course I am professional and answer all their questions in a timely manner anyway, regardless of buyer level/rating.

I would much prefer my time was “wasted” by getting “ok thanks”/closed inquiry notices than a bunch of “I want to purchase this animal!” inquiries that never go anywhere.

I feel that buyers also need to take sellers seriously and treat them with respect too. These are animals we’ve put a lot of time and money breeding and rearing, not retail stuff sitting on shelves in a store for just anyone. Maybe to some people that’s what they are but to me that is a huge false equivalency.

6 Likes

I inquire to find more information, and if something doesn’t catch my eye, or I found a better deal elsewhere. I don’t always respond. I don’t tell people I’m not interested in buying their car, I just move on.

I did this when I purchased some crested geckos off of here. I inquired on a full pinstripe, and then as I kept looking I found another full pinstripe that I liked better and was a BOGO deal. Because with shipping it was still cheaper to get the two geckos for the price of one, I went with that seller. I just felt like it would be rude to come back and say “I found a better deal elsewhere “ even though that’s honestly what happened. Info like weight, diet etc are important for the buyer to make a well educated purchase. I wouldn’t take offense at it.

4 Likes

I feel like a better option for this, if doable, would be a timed message to potential buyers. For example, if after 24-48 hours with no message activity, an option prompt would then be given to either continue with the inquiry, or close without purchase. Then if that prompt is not followed up with in another set amount of time, automatically close the inquiry and prompt them to inquire again due to inactivity.

This way it gives the seller a regular, set time limit for buyers to make a decision on whether or not to continue the transaction. It would also give buyers the chance to just leave the conversation without having to say more.

10 Likes

The only questions i ask is how much is shipping and how do you work payment plans. Cuz just saying shipping is 50-90 and payment plans available is very vague. Most just say shipping is 75 and pay plans are for only 500 and up. If they couldve stated the 500 and up, it wouldve saved the asking about shipping. But once i find that out, its all i say to them, and keep on looking. If something like that is what is called ghosting, the call it that, i wouldnt care. But just inquiring about an animal doesnt obligate me to buying that animal. If they dont want to be bothered with questions like that, then explain in the store policy a little more than putting in all that other ridiculous garbage…

3 Likes

I think there’s a big difference in asking questions for information about an animal, and then saying you want to buy it and beginning the process, even so far as having the selling send an invoice and then never following up/ignoring the invoice and any additional follow-ups by the seller, which has also happened to me as well as the OP and I am sure plenty of others. The latter is obviously the problem here, or at least for me it is.

Again we’re not talking about cars or inanimate objects, I still feel that is a false equivalency.

Maybe there should be two buttons like one for “ask for more info” and then another “inquire to buy”?. I don’t know if that would work or not but maybe that would help separate window shoppers jyst seeking more info from serious buyers. Just a thought.

4 Likes

No one is suggesting that if you inquire you’re obligated to purchase. A simple, “thanks, I’ll pass” is enough to let the seller know that they can move on to the next person who has inquired.

8 Likes

I like this idea. I am actually going to write something very similar into my own store policy.

5 Likes

Ah… But how then do we deal with the 95% of people that hit the ‘Inquire’ button without ever bothering to read the ToS of the seller???

It is neither ridiculous nor garbage to make things somewhat vague. If I am shipping to someone one state over it is going to cost significantly less than if I am shipping to someone on the other side of the country. Putting an estimate range for shipping validly covers both of those options

Counterpoint - What Hilary said above

I have had numerous cases where I have been dealing with multiple inquires on a single animal. The one that lays the money down first is the one that gets the animal, it does not matter if they were the fifth to inquire or the first or the tenth. I am not going to risk possibly lose a sale now while answering questions for someone that is undecided.

10 Likes

I like this idea as well. There have been a few times that I wanted to just ask a question about an animal’s husbandry or diet, or whatever but didn’t because I didn’t want to trigger that purchase inquiry.

6 Likes

Yes! This sounds golden!

6 Likes

The only problem with this, is that sellers often forget to leave reviews on buyers. Most I have bought from have forgotten to.

7 Likes
  • The level is NOT based on ratings from sellers; however, it IS positively impacted through confirmed purchases from breeders through our inquiry system. 1^
8 Likes

Yeah I wish people would rate buyers more often.

9 Likes

I do rate all my Buyers. I have missed one or two, I can’t remember, but it was a situation where I forgot and then enough time had passed where it wouldn’t let me. I don’t believe I’ve ever left a bad rating but maybe I’ve just been lucky so far.

8 Likes

Can we rate people who inquired, said they wanted to buy and then disappeared or do they have to purchase an animal as it works currently?

8 Likes

You can send private feedback that customer support can see, but unless the purchase is complete then your rating wont be public.

4 Likes