Humidity question

I’ve just switched over to tubs since our collection is growing and I keep the temp at 80, the hot spot is typically about 85 at the surface and have reptichip bedding. I have a thermometer/hygrometer in the tub about 2" off the surface which has been reading between 60-75% and ive been struggling to keep it in that range. Just received my temp gun today which has a hygrometer and its reading 20% while tub hygrometer is still reading 60%. Which reading should I be more concerned with? The reptichip feels dry to the touch and ive had 2 separate in tub hygrometers with same reading. Humidity in the room is about 15%. Thanks in advance for the help!

2 Likes

Thermometers and hygrometers vary from one to the next even within the same exact product line. It’s always best to use multiples that consistently give similar readings. I’ve been hatching exotic species for 20 years and I have never found a specific product that is reliable every time.

In my ball python room, I use a phillips home room humidifier and it keeps the room on track vs me having to mist or use specific substrates.

4 Likes

Hello. When I started tubs it was a lot of trial and error for me. I drove myself crazy with it and I’m sure I drove my snakes even more so!
To start Assuming you are in your house and haven’t built a room especially for reptiles, there can be so Mitch fluctuation in humidity and temp in each room just based on time of year. And tons of other factors (bin size, bin depth, # of air holes, size of water bowl, type of substrate, amount of substrate, how the rack is built and breaths, and the list can go on. My point is and I’m not telling you the greatest of hobiests would agree w/ my bin theory, but sometimes you just need to look at your animals.
If you are regularly cleaning and keeping up on fresh water and sheds. It becomes very apparent if your humidity levels are to high or low. The trick could be as simple as moving the water bowl further away from the heat tape or drilling two more holes.

My suggestion is, if you are even asking this question you care enough, that your animals aren’t in immediate harm. Don’t worry about a number, pay attention to healthy sheds and aware snakes. And rather than stressing them and yourself out. Make small tweets here and there and it all just starts to come together. Just my opinion. Others may not agree.

4 Likes

Thank you that makes perfect sense! I do not have the luxury to have a reptile room so i’m just trying my best to dial it in and make sure my snakes are healthy. Im guessing my temp gun may be getting a reading from the substrate. Is it a problem if my substrate feels dry but the humidity inside the tub is within range? Thanks alot for taking the time to respond it has been driving me crazy and this kind of threw a wrench in it.

3 Likes

Another thing that’s never talked about, but is a critical factor in good sheds; internal hydration and fresh water.

Snakes will drink more readily of fresh water than they will tepid week old water. Make sure they’re hydrating regularly and external humidity has less of an impact.

4 Likes

This here is :100: on point!!! This is the key happy and healthy animals! Don’t stress to hard over a number from an instrument that may not even read correctly.

2 Likes

This is also :100: on point and excellent advice!

2 Likes

Thank you, I’ll just try to relax and keep an eye on everything! I was finally able to purchase some babies i’ve wanted for a long time so just want to make sure everything is on point. I appreciate the help and advise!

1 Like

Just remember Husbandry is learned. It takes time and the want to do it right. Videos are great starting points, but let’s be honest. No one knows all the factors that you deal with. And failing their “fail proof “ way, shouldn’ t make you feel stressed or bad about yourself.
There are some awesome people out there making amazing content but, I’m Not sure some of these people making videos realize or care that there is no Perfect way! So by claiming it to people wanting to learn, can cause this discouragement. I would read these posts any day over a video. Some of these people are unbelievable with their knowledge.

2 Likes

The fact that you are paying close attention to the details tells me you will ok. Plenty of knowledgeable people on here that are more than willing to help. When in doubt asking is always better than wondering! Best of luck with your new snakes!!!

3 Likes