Hybrids - Lets Not Discuss Them!

No problem. The topic gets brought up a ton in the retic community.

3 Likes

Thanks for the example as I know almost nothing about the nuts and bolts of the testing.

What got me thinking they needed separate tests was this at Ball Python Genetics Project - Genetic tests

“ * Albino (Note: There are two mutations for Albino. We have a test for one of them.)

• Ultramel (Note: There are two mutations for Ultramel. We have a test for one of them.)”

Could the differences be at the very start or end in these cases?

4 Likes

Corns are much closer genetically to ratsnakes (maybe less so kingsnakes) than BPs are to say Retics or others. The shape of their head isn’t even the same. It’s like boas and Anacondas. Similar family etc but different genus, while the ones within the genus boa physically are much more similar etc.

Idk, I’m less familiar with the python crosses than I am boas, but I see a blood python and a BP and to me the difference in look would be pretty… Intense lol.

4 Likes

They are advancing that genetic testing pretty rapidly tho. Hopefully sooner than later locality info for boas can be added. I mean, most “morph boas” are like 2-3 species with possibly more sub species all mixed together unless otherwise specified (locality morphs would be different like a Pure Sonoran Hypo Leopard or an Anery Zero Longicauda etc)

5 Likes

FTFY :wink:

Corn Snakes: Hybrid
Ball Pythons: Hybrid
Reticulated Pythons: Hybrid
Bearded Dragons: Hybrid
Axolotls: Hybrid
Burmese Pythons: Hybrid
Carpet Pythons: Hybrid
Milk Snakes: Hybrid
Hognose Snakes: Hybrid
Chahoua Geckos: Hybrid
Rainbow Boas: Hybrid
… etc

You guys don’t even realise the service you are doing to the community with these conversations… @MP_Editors are always watching, soaking in the info :blush:

Feel free to post any category specific info into their corresponding morphpedia articles :wink:

7 Likes

I know they dont have a morphpedia page (at least not yet), but from what i have seen on the market it appears fairly common for the “bamboo” ratsnakes to get crossed with eachother.

Not really sure on the reason (I assume availibility of imports/diverse genetics may play a role).

And from what i have seen over the last 18 months or so it tends to be fairly noticeable in the pattern particularly when the animal is being sold as a cross with coxi due to variable cross banding or breaks in the normally uniform stripes being present.

I know this may not be useful right now but felt it was still worth mentioning.

5 Likes

The same thing happened with boas! Except we probably still have 10 more species that are currently subspecies etc. (Boas cover WAY more geographic space lol) In captivity we have basically created “morph boas” that mix multiple species and sub species and then “locality morphs” like Pure Sonoran Leopards or Nicaraguan Sunglows etc. It’s a lot, was so confusing when I first chose to dive into boas. Thank God for guys like Brian Boas, Jason’s Exotic Reptiles and NERD of course.

5 Likes

Yep, that is another one I forgot. Very commonly those are mixed blood in origin

Some of it was honest mistakes before the taxonomy on them was fully understood. Some of it was “Eh… Close enough and I want to breed”

4 Likes

Are hybrids mostly a concern for those looking to breed and keep to ‘pure’ or species specific lines? Or are there hidden health issues in some hybrids? I know you all mentioned viable as possible fertility issues, but again if you weren’t looking to breed that wouldn’t be and issue.
Do some hybrids have increased risks for shortened lifespans, tumors, etc? In a pet-only context

4 Likes

Nothing directly health-related in the manner you are asking about. In fact, under some arguments, they might actually be more healthy

However, there could be some fairly serious complications when the evolutionary history of the parent species are taken into account:

Ball pythons are African semi-tropical/savanna animals while womas are Australian desert/scrubland animals

Ball pythons are African terrestrial while chondros are SE Asian arboreal

So what temp/humidity/seasonal cycle/etc do you give to the hybrids? And how might the conflicting evolutions of the parent species create potential discordance in terms of physiology and environmental tolerances?

7 Likes

Ah, I see how that could be an easily overlooked issue. Thank you very much for the response!

3 Likes