I got a Ball python

First, I would definitely switch to a hest mat and get rid of the lamp. Even if you replace the top with a screen, the screen can get very hot, in order to get the surface temps correct.

Temps should be around 86 (give or take a couple degrees). This should be the hot side and all day, not just at night. (another reason to use a mat, so the light is not on all day)

Humidity should be around 50-60%. You can incress it to 70 when shedding. A heat light can dry it out.

No other lighting is needed.

Food… This is a hard one as we have no idea on the size of the snake. But for a guide, it’s food should be about the same size as the thickness part of it’s body. Depending on age, it should be eating every week or two. If it is young, weekly, if year and half or older, every other week. Now, if it is older and it is eating the correct size food weekly, then keep doing it. Unless it is over weight (but these pictures do not look like it is over weight.)

If it is being fed to small of a meal, but eating every 5 days, then I would switch it to something larger and less often.

Is it eating f/t or live?
If live, keep doing it if you change food type (mouse to rat) i would not make to many changes all at once.
If frozen, try a rat the same way. If it won’t est, then try it live. (some may disagree, but being new to this, it will be easier for now.)

Giving rats would be more nutritional for the snake. And it will put on weight a little faster. (if under weight).

3 Likes

I would definitely switch to a heat mat that is controlled by a thermostat.
I’ve seen heat mats just plugged in straight to the outlet.
Some heat mats can get 130 degrees f or more unregulated. Many of snakes have unfortunately been burned by this.

3 Likes

I’d never use any heat without a thermostat cause I’ve heard way too many horror stories so no worries on that. Is a heat mat safe to use with plastic tho ?? I’d be worried it would melt it even if the bin isn’t touching the mat

3 Likes

No if the heat is regulated it will not melt the tub. I use heat mats or strips under all my tubs……

4 Likes

Perfectly safe to use a heat mat with a plastic tub. Even without a thermostat, my heat mats don’t get hot enough to melt the plastic. (I did a test a while back just to see how hot it would get unregulated.) That said, they absolutely do get hot enough to harm your snake, so you should definitely use a thermostat, but a heat mat with a thermostat is probably the safest heating element to use with a plastic tub.

3 Likes

The bin is on carpet atm, is it safe for the heat mat to be on the carpet or should I elevate both the mat and the tub?

2 Likes

The surface of the heat mat will only get as hot as you need the hot spot to be, so only 33 degrees or so. A heat lamp has to get much hotter for the space under it to get up to temperature so the surface will get hot enough to burn and melt plastic, even with the temperatures inside being perfect.

I wouldn’t risk it, but currently you’re risking the heat lamp getting knocked off and onto carpet, which would be much more dangerous. Can he go onto a desk or shelf? Or even an old crate or coffee table if you have one spare in the house?

2 Likes

I think I can figure something out but atm I don’t have anywhere else for him to go, I am going to see if I can get something to work and use the heat mat instead

Not to mention he took a FAT poop this morning so I think he’s doing pretty alright for the first few days of having him

1 Like

I’d recommend elevating the tub at least a little. If there’s no table space you can find, you could put some books or bricks or something under the ends just to lift it off the carpet a bit and create some airflow underneath the tub.

2 Likes

Some pictures of the dude as asked! I will try to elevate it to get some airflow but I don’t have anywhere big enough to put it on for a heat mat :confused:

2 Likes

OP, if you choose an under tank heater, it is recommended to pllace the probe between the heat mat and the bottom of the outside of the tub

3 Likes

Exactly what @caron said. To get it off the carpet, you could place something in the floor, like a piece of wood. You can get pre cut plywood from lowes/home depot in 2ft x 2ft piece. Then place everything on it. You could also place a couple 2x4 under all of it to act like feet and rase it a little, or even a couple milk crates or cinder blocks.

Placing it directly on the floor should not hurt the floor, but it could be hard to regulate and it may make the complete bottom hot. The heat won’t transfer as much on the wood and elevated a little.

3 Likes