I hate this season (Clutch 6)

Once more, I get kicked squarely in the crotch by the breeding gods. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: I am seriously contemplating just giving up on breeding balls… I could fit a heck of a lot of cages full of oddball species that no one cares about in the same footprint as my racks

I have one more clutch I am expecting to drop in about a month. I am really hoping I get something from that

6 Likes

Oh no! I’m so sorry, that’s the worst luck ever. Do you think it has something to do with the weather this year or some other condition that may be having an unexpected effect outside of your control?

3 Likes

It is possible… Really wish I knew what was going on because it has been near universal with my clutches this season, six clutches and only a total of ten good eggs. The two breeding loans I did will net me the same number of babies, which is kind of depressing when you think about it

3 Likes

I’ve had some serious bad luck like that with young males in the past.

3 Likes

I think it would be because snakes are hypersensitive to small changes. It sounds like it would depend on specific areas since different breeders have very different years (one breeder might have one of their best years while another is having their worst). It also makes sense because of the consistency, you don’t see too often where different clutches are either good or bad (clutch one is great, two is bad, three is bad, four is great). It’s usually consistent where most are good/bad.

I have had a real bad year this year as well. I’m thinking mine is from moving and tgem getting used to the new area. I have had a lot of slugs, eggs go bad and 1 female died after laying. The one that died her babies are doing awesome.

1 Like

That is such bad luck. Have you changed anything? Even something as simple as where you buy food from?

Maybe next year might be a better year for you?

1 Like

I personally don’t question any of Travis’s husbandry or breeding practices. Some times no matter how consistent you are you just have bad years. I personally have I just don’t think a lot of people share them.

3 Likes

I’m not questioning, just curious. I’m far too new at breeding snakes to question anyone.

I just wasn’t sure what sort of thing could affect so many good breeders. That’s why I was wondering if a food supply could make a change?

Would be good if there was a way to find out though.

2 Likes

For sure not giving a building female enough food could absolutely affect her ability to produce healthy eggs.

1 Like

You do anything long enough you are going to have rough patches.

5 Likes

It could be something as small as the weather to as big as a move. Food changes could make a difference (but likely not if it were a while ago because they would’ve gotten used to it, in the wild they eat a ton of different things) but it’s likely something else that hasn’t been proven yet like something to do with males. An example would be if a breeder bred one male to all ten of their females, if that male had low fertility (especially from being paired to so many females) then it would affect all of that breeders clutches (I’m not saying that you or other breeders do this).

2 Likes

Thanks for the insight :relaxed:

2 Likes

The male from clutch five was a first time breeder, but this male has proven three years over so… :man_shrugging:t4:

Nope, same thing I do every year. Only change was the number of females I decided to breed this season (ten) versus last season (seven)

Same guy I have been using for the past six years.

Hey, I welcome questions. Even doing this as long as I have, it is possible I am missing something that seems obvious to someone with a bit of distance.

6 Likes

So maybe your problem is your lucky number isn’t 10?

To be fair the weather has been weird this year, so maybe that does affect the snakes somehow?

1 Like

:rofl: :joy: :rofl:

4 Likes

That sucks man. Last year was a bad one for me too. Only got one clutch.

I know the frustration and how much it sets you behind to have a season like that. I hope things get better going forward!

4 Likes

Last year was terrible for me. Same number of clutches as 2019 but less than half the number of hatchlings.

4 Likes

I’ve been out of luck this year too. Didn’t produce any clutches besides my hognose female who slugged out both of hers.

My butter girl may be absorbing her follicles, I palpated her today and they felt a bit smaller than before. That could just be me though, it’s a bit hard to compare follicle growth by palpating vs using an ultrasound.

Hoping the 2022 season brings better luck for all of us!

3 Likes

Oh no! I’m so sorry! We when some and we lose some in this hobby! But don’t let it discourage you!

1 Like