I’ve tried everything, can anyone help!

First things, first. You NEVER microwave rodents…

9 Likes

There is a lot of good advice in this thread but I would second that you should never microwave feeders for any reason. Also I have had luck with picky snakes by blow drying the rodent to make sure the fur is dry and giving it a little boost of heat if it starts to cool off.

5 Likes

Also if you do feel like you’re at the point that you want to try the last resort of leaving a live feeder in the bin with your snake which is always a chance for injury, you can place a small handful of dog food and a little bit of bread or cheese or peanut butter and that way you can ensure that if the rat gets hungry he has a food source other than your snake.

3 Likes

I honestly wasn’t all in on microwave part, one of my close relatives had said that there would only eat if it was microwaved. They had tried everything and that was the only thing that worked so I tried to see and I was kinda happy that it didn’t work. Thank you for the information and have a wonderful day!!

2 Likes

I’ve also had mine come out in the afternoon ish. Basically just a short time during the day, poking their heads out a bit etc. Humidity has also been super important. I have a rescue who the previous owner couldn’t get to eat anything bigger than a pinkie. It was 2 years old supposedly. Stuck shed too. I got it hydrated and it took a medium mouse (about 10g larger than the pinkies from before) within a week. Also went through another full shed cycle, with zero stuck after. So hydration is helpful, give a large water bowl they can soak in etc with fresh water and misting. Can make a big difference sometimes

3 Likes

Try soaking the thawed out rat in Hot chicken stock for couple minutes. If it doesn’t take then don’t worry this is normal. Keep everyone updated here because we’re here to help.

3 Likes

I would only try chicken stock if it is salt free/no added salt.

2 Likes

I may have missed it, but what are the temps in the cage? Not only is a hot spot of say 88-90F important, the ambient/cool side should ideally be 78-80F. If the cool side is lower than that, that could very well be the “problem”.

3 Likes

Was he in a rack before? Use black construction paper, completely cover 3 sides, then half at least of the front. Preferably the bottom. See through glass probably isnt helping.

5 Likes

I’m following this thread to also learn. My first thought was lighting and heap lamps, but they were already mentioned, so I am super curious to see how everything goes and what the issue is.

2 Likes

As far as enclosures, lighting, etc, I agree with @d_y_python. I have both of my BP’s in sterilite tubs with lids and holes in the sides of the tub for ventilation. I have a hide on the hot side and one on the cool side. The hides I use are the black plastic ones that you can get from Amazon, LLLReptile, etc. And of course a small water bowl. The only light is the natural light in the room, nothing more.

As far as heat, @sonjakreptiles BP’s like it hot on one end and a little less hot on the other end.

My girl Wrenn is in a set up like this and she is thriving. I have a new BP baby boy in a similar setup and hopefully he will thrive as well. :lizard::frog::snake:

Tubs are not as appealing to the eye but for BP’s I think they work very well.

4 Likes