Origin Search Filter [2441, 3747] [DONE]

I think we should add a filter option for wild caught, imported and domestically produced. The reason is sometimes I am searching for a species that isn’t found captive bred to often, but I always buy captive bred, so I want to be able to know instantly whether there are any captive bred ones available.

5 Likes

I like the idea, to add onto it it would be nice to have them either
a) As morphs like imported is sometimes used or
b) A one or the other filter when making the ad and being able to search with it, so it be something like this:
Choose one for each row
Captive Born | Captive Bred & Born | Long Term Captive | Wild Caught
Imported | Domestically Produced

2 Likes

Great idea. I would love to be able to search along those parameters as well.

I was wondering if you guys could develop a search function that could filter out “wild caught” animals. Thanks!

3 Likes

The only problem with this, is that many stores with wild caught animals filter them as imports instead.

2 Likes

Ah, I see. That does make things difficult. How unfortunate. :sweat:

1 Like

Can we then filter both if need be?

1 Like

pretty please?

1 Like

Great timing!

We have actually been discussing how to improve the advanced search filters lately and animal origin is on our list :wink:

1 Like

Can we also do something for making it so sellers can’t filter as imported if they have wild caught animals? Maybe include a farm bred option too.

2 Likes

I was looking through an animal species today where there are a lot of imported animals. I don’t want to see the animals that are imported/farm bred/wild caught, but there isn’t a way to do that. I can select animal origins, but I have to select either self-produced or domestically produced. That would mean making two searches and not being able to easily compare some animals together on the same page. Since imported doesn’t count as a trait I can’t exclude that from the search. I think the best way to fix this would be to have the Animal Origins work somewhat like Genes and Traits where you can select multiple and/or exclude multiple traits/origins.

5 Likes

Before I merge, this is a similar request right…?

6 Likes

Both are about improvements for the origin filter, so yes, they are similar.

2 Likes

They are the same idea, but Erie brought the new point that this should be a multi-select field, not a singular one as it is now.

5 Likes

A lot of the time, I see sellers listing wild caught animals as imported instead. Like sure it had to be imported to get to the states, but it should probably be listed as wild caught first so people don’t think it is something like a German import from breeders. Maybe we could get something like ‘imported -WC’ and ‘imported -CB/CBB’ on MM.

11 Likes

@eaglereptiles this is a very smart idea from @ashleyraeanne.

8 Likes

Excellent suggestion!! “Imported” currently is true as far as it goes but going farther would be good. Those of us who’ve been around the hobby for a while may recognize that an imported corn snake wasn’t WC, but an imported Oriental rat snake was probably taken from the wild. There are many who wouldn’t know that’s the animal’s origin.

Great idea, @ashleyraeanne.

5 Likes

I see this a lot in species that are often imported (green tree pythons, day geckos, etc.), so I think this is a great idea.

4 Likes

Great idea because some imports are actually CBB, just in another country!
:grin:
-A

5 Likes

Another filter that would be good to add would be farm bred. That way people can’t just say domestically produced for animals that probably came from less than ideal conditions.

2 Likes