If you had to restart your breeding stock of snakes what morphs would you start with?

Pieds, Hypo, Ultramel: a triple het project. I also LOVE dessert Ghost, black pastel and Bamboo so I would sprinkle those within.

At this time we are actually re-evaluating our current collection. This time next year every single animal in our breeding collection will be a visual hypo, het or a personally produced possible het.

1 Like

Any visual female that you enjoy…Co-Dom genes are cheaper than Recessive, but definitely purchase females to start. If you change your mind down the road, females are much easier to resell, rehome, or keep as an additonal breeder. Females require so much more time to gain breeding size and a single male can service multiple females. Genetically speaking, males are like computers, they will have more genes and may be cheaper next year.

2 Likes

Are full grown females hard to buy?

Full grown, breedable and or proven females are out there but availability depends on the time of the year, during breeding season they are near impossible to find for obvious reasons, the best time is usually from June to October.

1 Like

Not “hard” to buy, but going to cost you more.

1 Like

Piebald, Bannana

1 Like

Why would you buy visual females over males? Just curious

See above.

2 Likes

That it a nice little link there @tigenrrm

1 Like

Thanks for the hyperlink to my earlier post.

Basically yeah it does depend on what’s available, I would tell anyone to sit down, browse the marketplace and write down the difference between the two start up methods.

I do think getting to visual x visual pairings in your project two or three YEARS sooner…that’s super valuable. Lot of “upgrades” you’ll be able to do that you wouldn’t otherwise.

Arent your odds better with visuals to reproduce than a het?

Of course, 25% chance with het to het, 50% het to visual, 100% visual to visual

1 Like

I am actually restarting. Thirteen years ago I had 7 snakes, het for lavender albino and axanthic. Back then I was dreaming of a bel, but couldn’t afford mojave (being $500-$2,000 back then, BELs were running around $5,000-$10,000) I never made it to the breeding stage. Lost my job and apartment, had to rehome all my snakes. Now I own my own home and I’m restarting with banana, pastel, mojave, spider and piebald.
It will be a few years down the road but I think no matter what they produce it will be beautiful. And now my boyfriend who never liked snakes wants his own project.

4 Likes