Impaction sudden death?

Are you planning on a necropsy?

Do you think it is possible he could have ingested some of the husk? I am not implying anything at all please understand. I just wonder why his little belly could be bruised?

Maybe itā€™s an internal organ problemā€¦ā€¦

1 Like

If he was laying on the heat pad that will help cause the swelling and bruising on the stomach. It may not necessarily be from the problem, just decomposition.

I had a 5 month old die unexpectedly as well. Different breeder. Unfortunately things like this happen.
Mine thankfully tested negative on all his virals. The necropsy was sadly a bit inconclusive as his back end was already a mess from heat assisted decomp.
I also lost a hatchling I produced to hard belly so that was also another tough hit for me. But not much to be done.

Sorry that you also had to experience this ā€¦sadly these things can happen regardless of age sometimes. Reptiles just hide things so well

4 Likes

Yeah, this was my first thought on seeing the picture. Captive reptiles unfortunately tend to start decomposing pretty quickly when they pass, due to their heated enclosures. This is even more accelerated when they pass directly on or under the heat source. If you didnā€™t notice any bruising or swelling before he passed, I think the swelling and discoloration post-mortem is not necessarily related to the cause of death.

3 Likes

Ya. Its all so frustrating, makes me sad. Poor little bugger. Unfortunately shitty stuff is a lessonā€¦ aleays learning with these guys .

Sorry to hear something so terrible happened. Definitely sounds like itā€™s likely a fairly faultless situation.

If I was the breeder in this situation Iā€™d be working hard to see how I could help you out. Itā€™s getting to be out of the time range where the problem is likely to have been a health issue a breeder should have a responsibility for. So I can understand them not wanting to just refund you, but situations like these are where a breeder can stand out by stretching the store policy to hopefully work out some way to help someone out. Itā€™s why they say it matters almost as much who you buy from as what you buy.

Hope youā€™re able to find some good closure on the loss. Take care!

3 Likes

Iā€™m inclined to agree with this. Even though it has been rightly speculated that this breeder is not at fault, I think when @julezbnutz contacted him, he should have at least expressed concern for his own animals, especially the ones belonging to the same clutch, or at least the ones he has left, if any. I think this breeder should have urged to have a necropsy performed and offered to pay for part of it.

Again I am not bashing the breeder. I am not a breeder, but if I was I think I might be a bit concerned about the untimely death of one of my animals, and the welfare of the rest of my animalsā€¦.

Just to add hereā€¦ again, we donā€™t know what he did/said, apart from not offering a refund. What donā€™t know whether he checked on his own animals, we donā€™t know anything.

You also have to look at it from a business side of things. You canā€™t just assume someone is willing to sacrifice profits to help pay for something. Most store policies would absolutely not cover a snake a month after purchase.

Edit to add: itā€™s also easy to just assume someone would want to give a discount, but whatā€™s hard is thereā€™s also way too many people that donā€™t care for animals properly. How do you weed out the ones that didnā€™t care for the animal properly, and caused its death, versus ones that truly did nothing wrong, and it was a freak of nature accident. Just something to consider

5 Likes

Yes I totally understand what you are saying Nathan, from a breederā€™s standpoint. As I said, I am not a breeder, as you are, so unless I walked in your shoes, itā€™s a lot easier for me to leave out the profit aspect of the situation, as well as the length of ownership (30) days.

This is just an unfortunate situation all the way around and yes assumptions should not be levied on the breeder without both sides present. But I do know one thing. If I did breed I doubt very seriously I would ever be able to turn a profit provided it was not my sole source of income, because at my age I am an old softie, at least concerning some things! :joy:

Thank you Nathan for pointing out the flip side of the coin. It makes total sense to me! But it still doesnā€™t change my heart :heart:. :blush: (Iā€™m stubborn that way!). :blush:

1 Like

I was a little over 2 weeks. Either way, my loss i suppose

1 Like

I understand it could have been something nobody knew. Just sucks that it hapoened. The animal was on sale when i purchased, i got a ā€œgood dealā€ā€¦ but it was still $450 and now my breeding plans have to change. I do t know. If it would have been one of my animals I had sold, I would have been beside myself, and offered some type of reconciliation :woman_shrugging:

I guess if i experience this in the future, Ill have to offer somethingā€¦ pay it foreword. Cuz damā€¦

3 Likes

Wow! I thought you had had him for at least 30 days! And he was on sale?

I totally agree with you on this because itā€™s just the way I am, profit or no profit. I would have felt badlyā€¦ā€¦

1 Like

If you got him on the 3rd, thatā€™s a day shy of 4 weeks now. Iā€™m just basing it off of what you said originally. Thatā€™s where I got 30 days from.

Regardless, it does suck. Youā€™re right. I wouldnā€™t wish it on anyone. Itā€™s just not so easy to find a middle ground to always make it right for everyone.

Itā€™s easy to say youā€™d offer something; but there are far too many people out there that would be happy to try to scam you. (Not saying you are at all, but saying lots of instances of people lying happen often). Itā€™s a situation with a negative outcome for everyone sadly.

2 Likes