Individual snake personalities?

Not sure if y’all thought I was referring to snakes having puppy personalities or not. But I was referring to how active they are. The two I have just seem more active. I Don’t think they are puppies.

Sorry, was a little side step in the discussion :grinning:. Back to mojave personalities or personalities in different morphs in general. My super mojave girl and leopard mojave boy are also very active. @nikkip this leopard mojave boy always wants to come out in the evening, but my super mojave and pied het albino girl to. My champagne pastel OD is indeed the most nippy one, but maybe she just has to get used to me a little more. I have one boy with pinstripe in the mix and he is the only one who likes to hiss when I come in his tub, but when he sees it’s me he immediately stops. Now I shut my mouth and let everyone else give their stories :laughing: man, I like to talk to much…seems to work like that also in writing:crazy_face:

But we know that some of these morphs do change more than just skin pigmentation… head wobble, fertility issues, kinks, etc.

I don’t think it’s a stretch that there could be some general personality differences that are more common for different morphs.

As I mentioned in another thread today, I haven’t worked with Mojaves personally, but at a show I recently attended, I noticed the Mojaves I handled seemed to be more curious and active when compared with non-Mojaves from the same table.

I’ve also heard that the Puzzle gene creates bitey snakes. This could be just a specific line of snakes in a particular collection, or it could hold true across Puzzles from multiple collections. I have no idea but it’s interesting.

It’s not at all a stretch.

A uncountable number of genes are at play and we just don’t know enough about the vast majority of them to know what it is doing what and why.

I had a discussion on here with @t_h_wyman about using CRISPR (basically advanced genetic selection) and in conclusion we just don’t have the resources or commitment to make such a database to the point we can pinpoint exact genes. Mojave could definitely have something underlying that we just don’t know about yet.

1 Like

With regards to the anthropomorphism comment above in this thread, I should’ve used “demeanor” instead of “personality.”

1 Like

My hero :joy::joy:

No in this instance I know what you mean I don’t think personality itself is overboard it’s where you apply/connect that. But thank you for catering to my delicate disposition :slight_smile: great comment

1 Like

You are making an improper correlation here. The secondary/extended phenotypes you list are a direct result of mutation to a specific metabolic/developmental pathway.

Changes in behavioural like you are thinking of are not intrinsically tied to pigment/pattern mutations however. Instead, they are primarily the result of polygenetics. Again, we see this when we look at domestication. And given the principle driving force in our hobby, a consistency of behavioural traits vis-a-vis morphs is not a likely thing

2 Likes

My snake comes when his name is called :woman_shrugging::joy:
I want a mojave now to see if there’s a difference

this thread is very entertaining and enlightening

2 Likes

@annakirby Smh :man_facepalming: :man_facepalming::man_facepalming::man_facepalming::man_facepalming:

2 Likes

@annakirby speaks nothing but truths… and parseltongue :joy:

1 Like

@eaglereptiles @annakirby :joy::joy: parseltongue

2 Likes

what morph do you have??

He was a banana

I feel confident there is at least one dominant type aggressive/defensive ball python gene based on three generations of breeding I did once with an aggressive pet store female. I didn’t correlate it to any visual morph but the animals that had it were consistently more aggressive than the ones I usually try to select for and didn’t outgrow it with age.

Also, not sure I would expect multiple generation captive bred ball pythons to be more docile than ones whose parents lived in the wild. I think a fair number of big ball python breeders actually select for aggression because they believe it is tied to better eaters and breeders. Maybe so far our “domestication” of ball pythons isn’t in the direction of docility.