Is feeding every 5 days for a BP under a year old power feeding?

Thank you! Honestly, it’s hard to do because i’m just not used to it but also because I have a freezer full of like 25 40+g rats :upside_down_face: that I received today. But if its better for the snake, I’ll go to my local trusted feeder seller and get some smaller ones until hes a bit bigger. Thank you again! It is much more difficult than i thought, weirdly enough. Just feels odd not feeding an animal for 10+ days hahah

No reason to waste what you have. If you have 45ish g, then I would use them but feed every 2 weeks. 300g (but over weight) , I am guessing still fairly young. So I think you will be OK to finish off what you have with 1 per every 2 weeks feeding schedule. It is not going to feel good making the change, but stick with it and your feeling will change once you see it is doing good. My longest non eater was 1 year. Now that was rough to go through. They will survive on their stored fat.
You can think of it as 2 smaller meals every week. And this is what it will actually be.

1 Like

Then that’s what I’ll do. :slight_smile: He’s actually like 9 months, so not too too young. I’ll go ahead and feed every two weeks from now on. Thank you so much.

2 Likes

Everyone gets fed 10-15% every 7-10 days till they reach adulthood at my house. Its just the way I like doing things. There are exceptions, but thats the rule. I also feed staggered, and from there I can better gauge interest. I tend to feed my adults large smalls or small mediums, although Ill throw em a weaned rat or a pup during the week every now and again. It’s all situational though, reading your animals is extremely important imho. Its up to the keeper to create balance for their animals.

Another thing I’ll mention is that the quality of the feeder matters. Get quality feeders! Youll see the difference I promise you.

Females do not need to be bulky to breed. Twice a year my females get fed 3-4 weeks in a row. The few weeks after they lay and the few weeks when I bring them off of ‘winter’ food cycling to trigger breeding. Other than that, they eat twice a month, except in December when they typically are only fed once a month or not at all. There is no difference in my production than when I quit weekly feeding in 2017. My females do however recover weight much faster than they used to, and I’ve never had a female refuse food postpartum as they often did when I kept them heavier.

3 Likes

I’m not meaning to say they should be “bulky” as in getting huge or something, just referring to the period in the female reproductive cycle that people refer to as “bulking.” Just like when a person says they’re trying to bulk they don’t mean just going out and getting obese or something.

During the time they are telling you they want to eat like crazy, consistent feedings every 2 weeks for an adult female will get them there if they’re not already. Your feeding schedule sounds fairly similar to mine honestly.

For some examples of snakes I’ve raised - one of these is what I’d call lean, the other is a breeding female that I’d personally not look to put any more weight onto (and in fact I cut her feeding back.)

2 Likes

@crypticoils-pythons I would say the two you posted would be very healthy and obese. But, you explained why and I also understand. In some ways, I am jealous, I wish mine could get that way before breeding.

1 Like

Gonna have to agree to disagree on that.

1 Like