Is this scale rot or just his markings?

I know he reminds me of a little Loch Ness monster when he does it :joy: and yeah I was swapping the substrate tomorrow anyway I read that this one is awful for humidity and not very good for the shredding process, and yeah any tips you or anyone has for me is great being a new ball python owner thank you!

2 Likes

If your humidity is a 67% in the enclosure then you are probably fine without tropical bedding. If you don’t mind me asking what is the average humidity in your house? A lot of people who naturally live in a humid climate like @caron use aspen for everything as a tropical bedding would be over humid

3 Likes

I was a little worried about the humidity being higher when I changed it but everyone says the tropical one is so much better, and that’s what I see everyone on YouTube using too, I suppose I can test it and swap back to aspen if I have a problem, and I’m not sure what the room humidity is actually I will have to leave one out somewhere to test just the full room.

3 Likes

A lot of people have houses around 45% but other can have 60+. Don’t go by every you hear or are told as only you can know your house humidity, house temps, etc.

3 Likes

Yes 65% :flushed: I wasn’t expecting it to be that humid! Maybe I will go and get a different brand of hygrometer this morning just to be sure :joy:

2 Likes

65% is a good setting. Don’t let it worry you if it drops to 50%. 50 to 65 would be the range I would keep it at and around 70 during shedding.

The temp for me is a little hight. 90 would be the extream high end I would go. Backing it down to 86-87 would give you some wiggle room if it happens to go up for some reason.

4 Likes

I would probably stuck with aspen then! A tropical substrate would probably make it overly humid. I would just throw a humid hide in when he goes into shed and that will be perfect

3 Likes

Amazon has some really fancy thermometer/hygrometer units that are pretty cheap. I’ve seen BP YouTube videos from the pros such as “Green Room Pythons” that use the Govee brand. These things will send phone notifications when the levels go outside of your preset range. How cool is that! I don’t know what your budget is like, but a single is around $13.

3 Likes

He’s just checking out his new digs! He looks just fine! :blush:

2 Likes