Lacey Act Whitelist

Does anyone have any info on what animals are on the Lacey act whitelist? I’ve been researching this and I can’t seem to find an answer.

5 Likes

The Lacey Act is more like CITES in that it is more about what you cannot ship. If something is not under the Lacey act then it should be okay to ship

5 Likes

Currently that’s how it works but under the proposed amendments they have to be approved before they can be shipped between states.

1 Like

That is what I thought. Although, based on Richard for Tarantula Collective, their list could extend to virtually anything that they think could deem injurious. Of course this is only one source, but I have seen this from a couple other places that say the same thing.

Apologies, I should have been clearer.

As it currently stands, the Lacey Act is not a “white list” entity.

If the re-written bill passes, the most likely outcome will be a white list that will be very narrow from the start (dogs, cats, major farm animals). Anything else will have to be added to the list through a petition/request program. The process for which is so arduous that you can pretty much guarantee nothing will be added

3 Likes

What I read on USARK. Is that they are going to consider anything injurious, is anything that can survive in southern Florida. Also possibly a small part of Texas is going to be added if it passes. I don’t think it will go through with that, now that everyone has noticed and if it does. I think that part could go to the supreme court. That has nothing to do with the America competes act and they are trying to sneak it in.

4 Likes

Read more carefully, it is invasive or injurious in any state, territory or possession. Hawaii bans everything to protect their ecosystem, as they should. Most of the popular birds, snakes and lizards would be invasive on one of the island territories. All those species will face an uphill battle to make the whitelist.

I really hope I have misunderstood the language of the bill. But I bet I didn’t misunderstand the intent.

3 Likes

Linking this here so that this thread shows below the USARK post:

3 Likes

Its not yet been defined.

1 Like