Leopard gecko taming questions

So I got my Leo 3 days ago and have been trying to tame him down first off two thing I am very gentle and I don’t want to sound impatient I am aware it will take him a while to tame. Ok so this is my third day with him and I went to pick him up and he ran away so I scooped him and he bit me (no big deal don’t mind) do eventually he hopped of my hand and ran into his warm hide. He seemed a quite scared at the time so if he is scared should I leave him be or no currently I just pick him up anyway also he is a baby and even though I got him 3 days ago he is eating fine today I ring fed him 8 mealworms two more things he is. probably a month old and how long would it take to calm him down if I hold him for 10 minutes every night?

You are supposed to leave them alone for at least a week and not bother them except for feeding and water. No handling at all. If you keep going the way you are it could drop its tail from the stress and fear. Leave it be for at least a week, maybe two now that you have stressed and scared it. This is what I meant by more research being needed to be done when I commented on your other thread. You should know this as it is a basic thing. Please, do more research for the sake of your animals.

2 Likes

I was aware to not mess with it the first day but this is the first time o heard first week

They need a while to set in and get used to their surroundings. It takes way more than a day. If you got any of your information from Petco, 9 times out of 10 they are wrong. Best to do away with their info and go off of good care sheets/videos for them.

1 Like

No judgment at all so please don’t misunderstand when I say this…it’s very common knowledge to not mess with almost any reptile right when you get them. Always let them settle in for a week or 2 and then start handling if they are eating consistently and seem to be settled in.
You have to research more than I think you have, it’s not a bad thing. We all take time to learn these issues when we first started, just put some more time into researching for the betterment of your animals.

3 Likes

Yea I was not aware that I had to not handle him for a week. I will give him like 7-8 days to get settled in, But I don’t follow petco guide I while I did do research I must have over looked that I watched multiple taming and handling videos and read 2 articles on how to tame them I did hear that maybe it was not from a good source but besides that he is happy I think here is a picture of his enclosure

I appreciate the information because I just want then best for my little buddy thanks!

2 Likes

Thank you I appreciate it

2 Likes

Of course. We all want the best for your animals too. It’s all a learning process and none of us are perfect.

2 Likes

Do you have a humid hide on the warm side or middle of the tank? You can use moss on the inside of the hide and dampen it with some water and that should do the trick, they need a humid hide at all times. Other than that your setup looks ok. I personally would use paper towels tho, much less risk than any other bedding and you can monitor them better on it.

2 Likes

Yea I do have a humid hide it’s more towards the middle I will move it closer to the warm end also I appreciate the tip on the paper towels but so far his poop looks ok thanks!

Sounds good. I wasn’t sure if that deli cup was a humid hide or not.
Keep up the research, don’t handle for 2 weeks or so and he’ll tame down in no time.

1 Like

It takes time. Mine is still a baby and I leave it alone except when I clean the enclosure. It is currently getting to the point that s/he will take food off of tongs. Babies are very skittish. I’ve owned mine for almost 3 weeks now.

1 Like

Thanks yea my gecko takes good off tongs I fed him 8 meal worms today off tongs he was nervous near the beginning but quickly got used to it by the last meal worm probably won’t hold him for 7-8 days then will start taming him/her again so from what I here as they get older even with out taming they get a bit less scared right?

1 Like

I would say don’t force handling, like with any lizard and some king snakes, it is just better to let them come to you. I know it is really hard, I mean really really hard not to just pick them up, but the threads of trust through feeding and cleaning the cage aren’t there yet. I have learned that when stepping into any thing reptile related if you have a issue with handling a Leo, look up how to tame a Monitor. For me that was looking how to read retics when I was going to get a boa. Use the advanced methods on the beginner animals

2 Likes

That very very good information I can’t thank you enough like I can already tell that’s going to help a lot your a legend

2 Likes

I think that you will have a great experience now and for a long time

1 Like