Leopard gecko tank

So like I’m getting a leopard gecko finally!! Will some people help me with the setup I know I need 3 hides one on cool side and one on warm side and a moist hide in middle and I’m going to be using a heating pad and going to be using a uva bulb anything else for the tank except timers and thermostat

Congratulations on getting a leopard gecko! I bet you will do a great job taking care of him/her. I suggest for substrate either a reptile carpet or dry coconut earth, newspaper too, watch out for sand substrate it causes impaction and is a big no, no.

1 Like

Just one thing I dont see many people say but I know a few newbies that unknowingly killed their gecko because they feed it too often and did not mix up the diet and only fed mealworms. Geckos will stuff themselves and not to say that you will do this but it’s something I just thought I’d say. Also, if you go with the carpet just be careful when you feed them because they can snag their teeth on the fibers. Oh! And get calcium powder!

1 Like

I would highly suggest paper towel as a substrate.

Different types of insects,real or fake plants (they can add a lot of personality to the tank), and if you want then you can add a clean up crew, it’s like bugs that can help clean your gecko’s tank. Also personally,I think eco earth is a pretty good substrate, I’ve been using it for my gecko and haven’t had any problems :blush: .

1 Like

Someone on this forum had their leo die of impaction from eco earth. It is a general rule for many small lizards, especially geckos, to not use loose substrate that can easily be ingested. If anything does happen, it usually means the death of the animal, so it isn’t a good plan in the long run.

2 Likes

My reason for suggesting paper towel as a substrate - I have owned leopard geckos for approx 3 years and I started off putting eco earth in as a substrate. I always tong feed as well. A dubia roach managed to escape from my geckos mouth and I was not able to find the dubia in her enclosure. Well, a very sad story but also a very educational story. My sweet girl daisy found it herself in her tank and ate it along with a mouth full of eco earth. She suffered from it… and even though I rushed her to the vet they were unable to save her. Please, if you have the option to chose paper towels, do it. I know its not the most natural looking substrate but it will spare your geckos life.

2 Likes
1 Like

Thank you I’m getting calcium powder and multi vitamin

1 Like

Thank you very much for that information I will avoid loose substrate

2 Likes

You’re welcome!

I got my first leopard gecko last week and I’m really wishing I got my tank setup and ready with heat/humidity before hand. I wish I could go back to before I got my gecko and get it started first. Congrats on getting your gecko they really are fun to have!

1 Like