Leopard gecko enclosure

would an adult male leopard gecko be able to live in a 60x18x24 enclosure or would it be to big

Personally I would say that it’s too big, you’d have to put a lot of decorations in there so the gecko doesn’t get stressed. With all of the decorations in there it would be extremely difficult to monitor him and if he got injured it might take a long time until you noticed.

2 Likes

I agree with @erie-herps.

It could likely work for some geckos if cared for by someone with a lot of experience. However, I expect that the vast majority of leos, especially newly purchased, would get stressed. I assume that a lot of geckos that were raised/kept in rack systems would have the most difficulty. I also think an enclosure like that would require zero husbandry errors and consistent, fairly stringent monitoring.

I’m guessing that it’s totally possible (so long as there isn’t anything too high where they could get hurt in a fall), but I think it would be very challenging. I also suspect that some geckos would never adjust to the point of being comfortable out in the open.

I generally think a 40 gallon tank (or other enclosure of equivalent size) is the mega-ultimate-super ideal, though leos can do very well in significantly smaller enclosures.

2 Likes

i have had him for a year and he has always lived in a 20 gallon long enclosure and hes always been very active and loves to move around at night ,and i wouldnt put anything off the ground but if you think it will be to stressful i wont do it

2 Likes

This means you have met his needs already and he is perfectly happy where he is :metal:.
If it isn’t broke, dont fix it.

4 Likes

Is that in inches or centimeters? I agree that it would be a lot in inches, but maybe not in cm.

1 Like

It is in inches.

1 Like

yes its in inches

1 Like

its in inches

1 Like