Let's learn together. Is there Leopard or not?

I am erring on the side of conservative because I would rather under promise and over deliver, than vice versa. With that, I am identifying this guy as a Lesser het Clown, which is certain. I won’t be proving him out. I am just asking your opinions for fun and our own edification. This guy is a perfect example of an animal that walks the fence when it comes to identifying genes combinations within a clutch. He was produced from 0.1 Spotnose Clown X 1.0 Lesser Leopard Clown. So I’m interested to know what you think regarding whether Leopard is present or not, and what you are basing your opinion on as far as features go. Have at it and thanks for playing along.

3 Likes

No leopard here in this baby. It is more than likely the het clown “playing” with the pattern. Congrats on your clutch. pretty baby :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I agree no Leopard in those.

2 Likes

Is that the correct pairing? If so that baby should be a lesser clown and not het for clown.
In agreement with Deb and Marry, no leopard in that hatchling. Beautiful snake tho, I love how dark he is, kinda unique for a lesser.

5 Likes

Nice catch. So much for my proof reading. The Lesser Leopard is het Clown, not Clown.

Also, what you pointed out about being dark was one of the aspects that had me wondering. It does seem awfully dark for a Lesser het Clown. Has an almost chocolate coloration to it. I would expect the fact that it is het to brighten it up if anything. And while there are a few squiggles and a lot of dorsal line, there isn’t enough of either that I would call it Leopard. The last thing I see is it completely lacks a headstamp, which I would expect to see in the Lesser Leopard combo. Never the less. It’s kind of an interesting looking animal.

3 Likes

No worries, I was confused if that was the correct pairing, I figured one was het.
It’s definitely a sweet lesser, very dark in comparison to what I’ve worked with. And I agree, I think the het influence would brighten it up if anything too but there is always a lot of variation within genes.
Definitely a beautiful hatchling.

2 Likes