Lighting struck me, time to buy a lottery ticket

This is two part post. Back story, we are working on producing a fire leopard orange dream combo. We have wanted one since we got into this. So I bought all the ingredients raised them up and I had my first clutch to start this project. Whelp. When I bought my orange dream pair ( we want a super orange dream to increase the chances of getting the 3 gene) the ad didn’t say they were het for anything. So I didn’t expect to get anything extra. Well I cut the egg, and my first reaction was WTF. I got an orange dream clown. We don’t know if it’s super it needs to shed but it’s pretty.

Update on Hope. She isn’t a normal, I knew it. But she isn’t fire either. Stitch ( mom) retained sperm from the 2018/19 season. That year I bred her to an enchi yellowbelly (RIP) he died not long after. Hope is a yellowbelly. My friend is experienced with the gene and identifying morphs. I didn’t know they could retain sperm that long and certainly didn’t know they could retain it after laying either. In 2019 she had 11 healthy eggs. It explains why I had so many bad eggs this time.

3 Likes

interesting… I have never heard of them retaining after laying either.

1 Like

It’s the only way possible. The enchi yellowbelly I bred her to in 2018/19 season died before that clutch hatched. This time she was only bred to a banana. Hope is my only yellowbelly I have now. The banana is just a banana nothing else. I am 200% sure on that. It’s interesting.

They can retain sperm for a up to a few years based on what’s been seen to this point in the hobby.

I just had a retained split clutch where some babies were from this years pairing and some from a male paired before she laid in 2020 who also was not the father of the 2020 clutch.

4 Likes

Reminds me of this news story https://www.cbs58.com/news/a-ball-python-laid-7-eggs-at-the-saint-louis-zoo-even-though-she-hasnt-been-around-a-male-in-years

3 Likes

That was parthenogenesis, not sperm retention. Different biological process. The longest recorded sperm retention is in Western and Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnakes and it’s only 6 years. The longest in ball pythons is 2 or 3 I can’t recall which.