Looking For Something New

Yeah! I have Bulls now. My wife and I have discussed getting some Applegate Albino Gophers eventually.

1 Like

Flying snakes are cool. I know you said no lizards but how about legless lizards?

2 Likes

What about Morelia?? Carpets/gtp my carpets are by far my favorite :star_struck: always out perching and puppy tame gtp will probably be my next species seems like carpets are a lil easier to handle :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I can appreciate the Flying Snake, but feeder lizards and frogs aren’t something I’m wanting to get into currently. Legless/ Glass Lizards could be a good “crossover” to keeping lizards again. I used to have an Eastern Glass Lizard back in the late 90s. Really interesting and beautiful little guy.

1 Like

Morelia has been highly suggested. So I might have to seriously consider them. I would love a pair of pure Diamond Pythons. The Jungle x Diamond cross is okay, but it’s hard to beat the aesthetic of a pure Diamond. It would also be my first venture into the true semi-aboreal snakes. Thanks for the suggestion.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Don’t believe all the hate carpets/Morelia get about being mean I have let an entire 3rd grade class handle a couple of mine no bites :blush:

2 Likes

Agreed! I keep, raise and breed carpets and they’re(some not all) just nippy(scared) as hatchies and most of those are just bluff head bumps. I’ve never had anything over 6mths old strike. The only hits I’ve taken have been from a missed food strike and that is always the keepers fault(IMO). My 7yo neice has handled my 9+ft coastal(supervised) like she’s a corn snake.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Not that I want to fully dissuade you from diamonds, but please do your research on them if you do decide to go this route. They have some very specific needs that need to be met or they will not thrive. They are not your “typical” and are almost better thought of and treated like a colubrid

3 Likes

Can you expand on that? Because I’ve heard of them dying out after three or four years of care and really never making it to breeding age or size unless grossly overfed.

It’s their temperature requirements more than anything, especially when attempting to get copulation. Diamonds like it much cooler to thrive than we normally keep other python species. I’ve heard an extended cool down in the 50s for lows.

If you think about it geographically they’re located in an area of Australia that because of being in the southern hemisphere is really more like the NE US.

2 Likes

Excellent choice , you cannot go wrong with San Diego gophers , I’ve been producing exclusive variants for many a year now.

2 Likes

I’d love to see some of your Pituophis progeny!

2 Likes

I’m in total agreement with this statement :point_up:

2 Likes

Yes, the dreaded “diamond syndrome”

Actually, overfeeding is part of the problem. But…

^^^
THIS is the most important factor.

As @snaxxs notes, their habitat is quite temperate in nature. Not sure I would go full NE US but certainly mid-Atlantic region. For long term health and survival, these animals need consistent nightly temperature drops, not just during winter but all year round. And, yes, the winter drops need to be pretty dramatic while still having a warm-ish day temp. Basically you would have all heat shut off at night and a shorter duration hot spot (peak temp only a few hours a day instead of full blast all day long) going up to only about 30C

3 Likes

no probs , there’s a few pics here Who are the pituophis fans here?

Also I have a blog https://pituophisart.wordpress.com/

1 Like

Do you think the food part has to go with like stomach rot?

Little bit late to the party but I have to suggest bloods and short tails. So different from other pythons and beyond rewarding to work with.

3 Likes

I agree! I have a T+ male, an Ivory female, and a T+ female on the way!

2 Likes