Male or female king?

Assuming female. Thoughts? :blush:
Online says short thin is female and long thick is male. What about long thin though? :joy: Bit of both maybe :thinking::laughing:

4 Likes

Hmmmm That tail is a little long, How old is the snake and how long is it

2 Likes

Long? :sweat_smile:
Not measured lol.
Lost for 3 years. Around 4+ Roughly. Not sure on exact age.

2 Likes

Kay, Your right abt long tail is a male and short thick is a female. if this is a grey banded kingsnake @t_h_wyman might have more on the topic

1 Like

It’s a Nuevo leon if that’s helps.
And long thick is male. Short thin is female. That’s why I’m confused :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Male snakes have a longer tail for gripping females when breeding If this helps, I would say wait till its comfortable then pop if you have experience doing it if you cant identify form the tail.

This if a example
Sexing - ReptiFiles®, LLC
Female is on left and male on right

3 Likes

So looking male…

I was told not to ‘pop’ an adult king… I’m happy to do so though so may give a go later!

1 Like

That helps a lot. The tail is very long! So she isn’t a she going by that! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I popped my adult kingsnake without any issue, the key is to not pop them all the way. Only enough to tell it is a male. That said, one thing males have that females don’t is a obvious “speed bump”. Start at the cloaca and gently press your finger down, then run it the length of the tail until you feel an obvious bump or a kinda drop off feeling. That will be where the hemipenes stop. It is hard to describe but if you feel it you will know.

2 Likes

Wait did you just say lost for 3 years damn I’ve heard of some going a year but 3 I don’t doubt it at all but that’s impressive how did you find him?

They rescued from someone that told them that story, but due to the appearance of the story it looks like they were trying to make money to support a litter of kittens that their cat had.

1 Like

He isn’t mine, well is now. But the previous owner brought him as a female cornsnake. One day it escaped and they couldn’t find him, 3 years later out he popped when her cat had babies. Probably smelt them and though ‘finally food’! :joy:

I know right, a bloody long time! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Didn’t actually cost my friend or I anything.
My friend was given him as the woman obviously didn’t want him anymore since nothing to care for him now, also after seeing him again she was scared of him, and He was aggressive’ and was striking. (And was a female cornsnake, so maybe best she didn’t keep him not knowing the correct Snake also)
My friend then who took him on and she said he was striking also, a lot, didn’t seem like a nice snake, her partner said he didn’t want him in the house and they were worried for their kiddies.
Which is why we said we’d take him on.
But I mean, Does he seem aggressive to y’all? :joy:

1 Like

It’s a Boy!! :laughing:

Did you use the technique I explained? And congrats lol.

1 Like

He does have the bump you said yes!
And I asked someone who keeps them, I can pop a royal but I was worried about popping him.
So I sent a lot of pictures to the guy and with the tail size and bump it’s a he!
Thankyou for that, a lot of help. Didn’t know the bump was an indicator too. Poor thing has been called a she all this time :sweat_smile:

Thankyou, proud mum 🥲😂

Oh, yes of course. That mean snake is just planning to bite your face off. I mean you could just send him to me and I’ll take him free of charge for training. :rofl:

4 Likes

Would Royal Mail be ok? :rofl:

1 Like

I appreciate the vote of confidence but with my GBKs I cheated and sent the sheds to Ben Morrill for confirmation

3 Likes