Morph defect question

So I watched a video on YouTube by Jason’s Exotics and he was showing off some of this season’s hatchlings but also showed some Kahl albino babies with extreme bug eyes and he said that in time they will eventually pop out and come off. Is this true for all kahl albino and het kahl albino pairings? Will there always be a chance for this deformity? I ask because the boa I was going to get was het blood and het kahl albino but now that I discovered this can happen to the visual albinos is making me rethink on getting her. Are there any other lethal combos or anything else I should be aware of with certain morphs? I’m not very knowledgeable on boa morphs so I’d appreciate any info you have to share.

4 Likes

A kahl albino to another kahl albino will give you a good bit of deformities. But a het to a visual has a much lower chance of this. Out of the last 10 litters I produced there were no issues. A few years back had had 2 neonates born with no eyes.

4 Likes

Oh thank you for the clarification. Are there any other lethal combos or morphs that have deformities? I have only really had normal dwarf boas and now that I want to get into boas more I just want to be more aware of all of the risk that come with breeding certain morphs just like ball pythons.

4 Likes

Kahl x Kahl or Kahl x het Kahl May or may not give some albinos with bug eyes.
Sometimes it affects just the odd couple, sometimes more. I’d recommend not pair those to boas again but using a different male next time or try to reduce the chance with het x visuals pairings. I’ve had litters with no issues at all as have other breeders.
When it does happen there isn’t really anything you can do. One eyed being bugged the eye usually whilst and dies and the boa usually can live a healthy life. Those with both eyes effected often due.
Albino is a weak gene known for eye issues. Less so in sharp parings.

Het x het has given me bug eyes too.

Albinos in many species have eye issues.

Even sharps sometimes do.

3 Likes