Multiple casualties

unfortunately he does that’s why we always have too like have someone guarding the front door if we are taking in a package or something the one time he did get out it took over an hour of crawling and coaxing to get him out from under a bush

1 Like

thanks, we lost another cat of over 14+ years and it left a hole she was older than me I loved her r.i.p habby (not happy H A B B Y) and we needed something to fill it so we got a kitten I think it would be very traumatic to give our new kitten for both him and me

1 Like

don’t worry he is vaccinated

2 Likes

Jeez, I can’t believe there’s so much chatter on this topic. Here are your options. 1. Do nothing. Eventually the cat will kill all the skinks and lose interest in the garage. 2. Work harder to keep the cat out of the garage. 3. Rehome the cat. 4. “Train” the cat to not want to go into the garage.

Can you keep a spray water bottle in the garage for when you go into the house? Crack the door and if the kitty tries to squeeze into the garage squirt it. Sounds cruel, but cats are smart enough to quickly figure it out and avoid that door like the plague.

I had a cat that kept jumping up on the kitchen counters when we were not home. We put some up-side-down masking tape strips on the counter edge when we left the house. Came home to find a ball of tape and fur. Cured that little problem with one dose of medicine.

9 Likes

Oops! I certainly apologize @lizardkid if I seemed cruel to mention rehoming your cat because believe me I am the animal lover to end all animal lovers! That includes anything furred feathered scaled or finned! I should have thought before I typed and been a little more specific about the word “rehome”. I should have made the suggestion meaning finding another home maybe with a family member or friend? I surely wasn’t suggesting an animal shelter at all. I volunteered at the one in my town walking dogs and I got a glimpse of the feline room and it was awful. Too many kittens and cats, too few homes And too sad.

It’s just the each suggestion that was made would not work for you. And all emphasis was on the growing number of skinks that were being killed so I was feeling sorry for the little guys! Lol! And to be honest I wasn’t even taking into consideration the health issues with the grandad combined with scooping the cat litter?

Anyway, now it seems that the cat is truly a kitten? I’m not sure what the “Siberian Standards” mean. That throws a whole new light on the subject so to speak! Kittens are indeed lightning fast and everywhere
all at once. I can see why the little sucker is out the door as soon as it cracks open! Lol! But given that you’re dealing with a kitten you might just have to wait it out and just chalk up the dead lizards. And hopefully when grown the cat will be satisfied to just look out a window at the wildlife. And btw, has he been neutered? I didn’t see where this question came up? If he is not neutered that may be part of the problem…. Hopefully this doesn’t offend anyone……

Actually, in retrospect, this little kitten is doing what any kitten/cat/feline would do in the wild - HUNT. Which is exactly what this kitten is doing!

So again @lizardkid, I truly do apologize to you for seeming uncaring. I really do sympathize with your predicament! In fact I know how you feel! My husband wanted me to “rehome” my little dog Rudy because he barks at everything but that would make his 4th home. But…… he’s still with me! :joy:. So you keep your “Siberian” kitten aka “The lizard exterminator”! Just don’t let him know what your MM name is or he will be after you @lizardkid! Lol!:joy::rofl::joy:

Have a blessed evening! Caron

:heart::pray:

3 Likes

thanks I didn’t take offense tho lol I was just kinda thinking “I couldn’t I can’t lose another one” those were my exact thoughts

1 Like

if I remeber thats 5 years and under yeah, they grow for FIVE YEARS he’s only like 1 1/2

1 Like

he doesn’t scoop we have a robo litter and even if he wanted to I doubt it would be easy is very weak the only reason he survived the brain swelling was just how fit he was considering he was in his early 70s before the brain swelling

1 Like

With all due respect, telling someone not to comment unless educated on the subject is a bit much. This is a community forum and no one knows everything. When my wife was pregnant the doctor asked if we had a cat due to concerns so thats all the "education i needed as i trust the medical professionals and she never got another.

As far as the situation at hand, its seems like a simple solution if it matters that much to the OP. Figure out a way to keep the cat from the garage or wait until all the skinks are dead

4 Likes

Lol! Thank you @dsed for summing up a long somewhat tedious conversation, one in which I certainly stuck my foot in my mouth with the word “rehome”!

Basically it’s either the cat or the lizards. I was in Petsmart today and there a mix of a few kittens, a young adult and then there was a 10 year old main coon type cat named “Harold” ? (I think)? He was the sweetest thing and if I didn’t have a husband and a rowdy barky little devil dog, Harold would have gone home with me in a skinny minute! It broke my heart that this sweet Harold was waiting to be “rehomed” at a Petsmart adoption center. But at least he had not been dumped at the “pound”

So I said all this to say even though my room is full with reptiles, I would choose if need be my inside furr baby over protecting the lizard population in my garage any day! :sunglasses:. In fact if I had to choose between him and my husband……welllllllll. Sorry @dsed! lol!

2 Likes

You need to keep him out of the garage, i have a maine coon, and i dont trust him around anything, snakes, lizards or birds. I also re-homed my betta because of him. It wasnt if, it was when he got it. If you let him outside, stop, cats belong indoors and this is why. They are responsible for the death of billions of animals, and directly responsible for the extinction of 63 species. Domestic cats are thrill killers, they do it because they can, and seem to enjoy it, not because they are hungry.

3 Likes

I have a door dasher, it is very hard but possible. Tons of videos on YouTube to help

3 Likes

They make screens, we use one. One person carefully goes in lock cat up, bring in groceries. Cat bolts immediately bring him back in. Leash train him. Take him for walks. (I do this with my cats) play with him hard. Like up to the point he is flat on the floor panting. Puzzle toys, balls, treat balls, electric teasers, there is tons these days. You just have to put the work in.

I run my maine coon flat panting on the floor twice a day. He is too tired to do anything stupid. Same for my door dasher.

Cats are highly trainable. Teach him tricks. My cats all know sit. Down, my main coon is learning play dead and paw.

Its work, its not easy. Cats are not being in home and forget me pets like everyone thinks they are. They require attention, work and training and above all play, hard play

Not to be mean, but no excuses. So far honestly thats all i am reading on why.

6 Likes

I have a collapsable door dash guard, its meant for dogs but so far my door dasher cat hasnt figured out to go over it.

Bow Wow Barrier 28” White by Smart Retract: Retractable Door Barrier for Pets https://a.co/d/hvfds5t

4 Likes

Yep, if he doesn’t want to put the work on. Find someone who will sadly.

3 Likes

My only concern for re-home is he doesnt seem to want to put the work needed in. Cats are alot of work.

3 Likes

Siberians are a large breed cat, incredibly intelligent. Bred for hunting. They are similar to maine coons. But dont think they get as big

2 Likes

I maybe should clarify I am not putting work in because its not my pet its my brothers so this was for suggestions and you have helped quite a lot, but please do not call me for with lack of a better word lazy.

3 Likes