My coastal carpet won't eat

I received my baby on sept 22. She was born in May of this year. On Sept 25th she ate great but since the she hasn’t taken anything. She shows extreme interest and looks like she’s gonna strike for about 5 minutes then looses interest. I know this is normal for ball pythons but I am new to carpets. Any advice?

I have had success getting stubborn carpets to feed by scenting with low-sodium chicken broth. Also, if you have only offered f/t, you may want to try live, and be sure to feed at night as these snakes are nocturnal. If you would describe your setup and temps, we can see if there is any need for adjustment.

1 Like

Right now I just have in a 9 liter tub with 95 on hot side and 76 on cold side with a hide on either side. Humidity stays between 70 and 80. I wanted to keep her in this until she ate a few times but I have something ready for her

3 Likes

Have you tried to feed live and possibly a smaller size?

The first one she ate for me was a hopper. Then I have tried fuzzie and pinkie just to be sure. She is stull in a sterile environment from purchase and she was born on May 8th and her weight is 58g

I know that it sounds horrible but you might have to sent the feeder or split the skin of the noise to create more airborne smell. (I recommend that you try senting them first because the splitting takes a bit of skill and plus it is gross)

What should I sent it with and how? They already smell like mice to me?

@stewart_reptiles will likely know a good few tips and tricks to help you out :blush:

1 Like

Like @westridge said previously, try the chicken broth for scenting. I personally haven’t tried that, as I’m dealing with a similar situation too atm. I’ve just been waiting it out, re-attempting every few days with a live hopper and also frozen. So far I’m 50/50. One night they’ll eat, next time they won’t. One night they’ll take frozen, the next time only live. It’s rough when they’re at that size, mine are about 18 months at the moment. Patience has been my only friend with mine. Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks for the input. I’ve really been freaking out

1 Like

That setup by the way is spectacular and on point

1 Like

You may just need to leave the snake alone with the prey item. Use a fuzzy so it can not hurt the snake and leave it overnight in the dark and warm enclosure. Sometimes it they just feed slowly when they are small. and as concerned owners we try to get too involved. I would only use live for this so it stays warm and wiggles around a bit and nothing bigger than a fuzzy as bigger mice have teeth and the abilty to hurt the snake. if a fuzzy is not big enough drop in two and then resist the urge to check on him, just let him be.

1 Like

Thanks. I put lots of time in it.

1 Like

Thanks for the input. I tried chicken broth scenting tonight and I think I found a mouse breeder in my area, so I will leave her alone until Friday and try a live fuzzy then.

1 Like

The first thing I would do is leave her alone for a week. If she is stressed, she needs a chance to calm down.

Next, give her something to perch on in the tub. This can be something as simple as a toilet paper tube or as complex as one of those 3D printed jobs. When young (and still some when older) these animals are highly arboreal. They are used to being up and striking down on their prey.

Try scenting with chick down if you can find it. Or use quail/chicken chicks as a feeder option. Carpets really key in on birds as feeders.

I would also advocate for a rat pup/fuzzy over a mouse. Trust me, a six-month-old carpet can handle a larger prey item like that

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice. I probably did stress her. She went from a rack system to being held everyday. She is now in her actual enclosure so she has almost 4ft of perches. I will also try the extra small chicks or quails from rodentpro. As I live about and hour and a half from the nearest reptile store, my options are limited

3 Likes

Sounds like a plan :+1:t4:

If she continues to be stubborn check back in with us and we will see if we can get things sorted

2 Likes

Well everybody, I just wanted to give an update to my stubborn coastal. After trying everything I knew and her refusing to eat since September, about a month ago I was at my wits end and said screw it! I thought, " i’ll just go and buy a live adult mouse and throw it in to see what happens". I have never seen a faster feeding response. Here is a pic of the 4th mouse in a row. Again thanks for all the previous feedback.

5 Likes

Good to see babies eating…Maybe try drop humidity to around 65% and not let it stay at 80% for long periods of time. Not saying 80% is hurting him but personally I like the 60- 65% range. Beautiful baby…I also have a Coastal and he’s a puppy…Luv the dude.

1 Like

Just suggestion but try and warm up the prey item, i have found the warmer prey trigger some of my carpets, if the F/T prey item is too cold they might not be interested…hence the great feeding response with live…gotta love those heat pits :)…glad it ate for you though…beautiful carpet too!

1 Like