My daughter wants a hognose snake

My daughter is crazy about reptiles. She has had a gecko for 2 years and really wants a hognose snake. I wanted to get her one for her birthday but am not sure where to buy one. She wants a plain western hognose, nothing fancy, but I don’t know where to get one of those. Her 4H herps club organizes trips to shows but clearly that is not an option at this time
Please can you help me?

4 Likes

Hi Kristam
here is a good place to start
https://www.morphmarket.com/us/c/reptiles/colubrids/western-hognose/index

3 Likes

When parents wants to buy a hognose for their children I like to emphasize just in case they are not aware that hognose are venomous, the venom is very mild with a very poor delivery system since they are rear fanged and while no probe to bite they still can and a reaction can stil occur depending on the individual.

Not to disuade you because they are great snakes but something to be aware off especially if the animal is for a child.

6 Likes

Make sure that if you do get one for her, get a female hognose that is already eating unscented frozen thawed mice.

4 Likes

Thanks for the replies so far! I actually did know they were kind of venomous, my daughter told me. She has done a lot of reading on the subject. She is middle school age. The sources she read said that you could buy a plain ol’ hognose snake for around $50 to $100. Is that out of date?

5 Likes

That is still the price range for normal.

1 Like

Where does one buy a normal? :slight_smile:

1 Like

At a reptile show or using the link Mary provided you.

2 Likes

From sellers on the MM marketplace. You may have to wait until later in the year since it isn’t hatching season just yet. Female normals will be a lot more expensive than a male, but it is worth it as the males don’t make as good of pets. Especially for a beginner with snakes. I would recommend a king snake, milk snake, or corn snake for a young beginner to be honest. Hognose have an attitude a lot and can be difficult to handle due to being drama queens at times, and a young child that is new to snakes won’t know what to look for in behavior. I started with a kingsnake myself when I was younger. I didn’t start until my first year of highschool though.

3 Likes

I agree with this sentiment 100%. I had a normal hognose about 20 years ago. She constantly hissed and struck every time I picked her up. Definitely the most grumpy snake I’ve ever owned. My particular animal was definitely not for a young beginner but maybe others might have a better attitude.

2 Likes

drama queen? the snake and my teenager would have a lot in common then

5 Likes

they can be a little bluffy thats all
plus girls get bigger so they are earyer to handle
Clint’s Reptiles has a very good video that talks about them
l
v

3 Likes

did u found one for her?

1 Like

I know this is an old post but out of curiosity, why don’t males make as good of pets?

2 Likes

They are small and can to be troublesome feeders.

3 Likes

They are small and can be picky my only male randomly decides he only eats live or frozen or not at all and it changes at-least every other month

2 Likes

Actually, we were able to find a hognose snake. He is a toffee belly that we got a price break on because he had a tail curl so was being sold to a pet home only. We got him Fed Exed from a breeder in CA, We have had him since August 2020. His name is Churro. He is usually pretty chill unless you startle him or unless he is in food mode and sees your fingers that look a lot like thawed mice. He is a curious little noodle and will come up to the side of his tank to see what you are doing.

3 Likes

Plus he does not like mice with too much fur on them. He will rush up to them and then NOPE NOPE NOT EATING THAT. We sometimes just give him a pinky first, then put the fuzzy up to his mouth right after and hope he doesn’t notice. Sometimes we give him peach fuzzies and sometimes pinky rats (not too often). He has bitten both me and my daughter when confusing our fingers for food. It was no big deal, just a pin prick. Scary cober this beast is not.

2 Likes

hi there

5 Likes