My daughter wants a hognose snake

My daughter is crazy about reptiles. She has had a gecko for 2 years and really wants a hognose snake. I wanted to get her one for her birthday but am not sure where to buy one. She wants a plain western hognose, nothing fancy, but I don’t know where to get one of those. Her 4H herps club organizes trips to shows but clearly that is not an option at this time
Please can you help me?

2 Likes

Hi Kristam
here is a good place to start
https://www.morphmarket.com/us/c/reptiles/colubrids/western-hognose/index

2 Likes

When parents wants to buy a hognose for their children I like to emphasize just in case they are not aware that hognose are venomous, the venom is very mild with a very poor delivery system since they are rear fanged and while no probe to bite they still can and a reaction can stil occur depending on the individual.

Not to disuade you because they are great snakes but something to be aware off especially if the animal is for a child.

4 Likes

Make sure that if you do get one for her, get a female hognose that is already eating unscented frozen thawed mice.

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies so far! I actually did know they were kind of venomous, my daughter told me. She has done a lot of reading on the subject. She is middle school age. The sources she read said that you could buy a plain ol’ hognose snake for around $50 to $100. Is that out of date?

3 Likes

That is still the price range for normal.

Where does one buy a normal? :slight_smile:

At a reptile show or using the link Mary provided you.

1 Like

From sellers on the MM marketplace. You may have to wait until later in the year since it isn’t hatching season just yet. Female normals will be a lot more expensive than a male, but it is worth it as the males don’t make as good of pets. Especially for a beginner with snakes. I would recommend a king snake, milk snake, or corn snake for a young beginner to be honest. Hognose have an attitude a lot and can be difficult to handle due to being drama queens at times, and a young child that is new to snakes won’t know what to look for in behavior. I started with a kingsnake myself when I was younger. I didn’t start until my first year of highschool though.

2 Likes

I agree with this sentiment 100%. I had a normal hognose about 20 years ago. She constantly hissed and struck every time I picked her up. Definitely the most grumpy snake I’ve ever owned. My particular animal was definitely not for a young beginner but maybe others might have a better attitude.

1 Like

drama queen? the snake and my teenager would have a lot in common then

4 Likes

they can be a little bluffy thats all
plus girls get bigger so they are earyer to handle
Clint’s Reptiles has a very good video that talks about them
l
v

2 Likes