My first boa

That’s interesting @solarserpents Olivia! I’m so glad you have the opportunity to enjoy the calabar! I’m hoping you will be able to breed them someday. I bet @t_h_wyman can answer your question about Gila’s folded skin/tuck!

:heart::blush::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

He has never seen that in his animals (though to be fair, he has not looked either LOL) but so long as everything is working fine I would not be too stressed. Might try bumping humidity a little or offer a complete water change in a slightly larger bowl. Sometimes minor dehydration can make scales do weird things

6 Likes

Now you’re going to be looking at snake butts next time you get them out!

6 Likes

Lol! @solarserpents The more I think about it the funnier the thought gets that snakes could have “butts”! :joy:.

But yeah, @t_h_wyman will probably start mastering the knowledge of the art of “snake” “butt ology”! That really “cracks” me up! :rofl::joy:

5 Likes

You assume that 1) I can even find my beasts in their heavily planted and decorated cage or 2) convince the young ones I have to exit their hide tubes and 3) will even remember by the time I do manage to encounter one free-roaming

:rofl: :joy: :rofl:

8 Likes

I can see the next themed photo of the month contest already…snake butts​:rofl::rofl:

7 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy: Lol! Yes @dsed that would be a great Themed Photo category “butt” we would have to get to the “bottom” of things to do it! Snake bottoms I mean! Lol! :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

If you all win, I wouldn’t mind it lol :rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

You do know @lumpy that @solarserpents started this when she brought up “snake butts” in a previous post! And then I tried to bring in @t_h_wyman ”butt” I haven’t heard from him……and then here comes @dsed!

Ok I am done wandering from the original thread by making “snake butt” “cracks”.

“Butt” this has been so much fun to laugh!

I love love love this community!!! :heart::+1:

7 Likes

Oops! Sorry @t_h_wyman I didn’t see this post! :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

Not sure how I missed that thread, “butt” it certainly gave me a good laugh! The comparison of the sheds is interesting as well.

@solarserpents, how is Calabar doing?

4 Likes

He’s doing well! Eating well, usually (gets picky for a little while after a shed). Just a weird, cute little guy.

4 Likes

He is a cute little guy. Sorry I misnamed Gila, who is a calabar. How much is he out where he’s visible, now that he’s been with you a while?

3 Likes

During the day - pretty much never! I usually will see him sneaking around in the evening, at least a few times a week.

3 Likes

That’s the case with my bi color python. He is NEVER out in the day and will only come out at night to “hunt” for prey.

At least you see your little guy once in a while! :blush:

2 Likes

Thought Gila needed some updated pics. He’s doing well and is such a delightful little guy to interact with. He does go through the occasional period of non-eating, but it never usually lasts too long. He definitely has a strong preference for small prey. His seller had him on frozen thawed fuzzy mice, and I’ve occasionally gotten him to eat that size, but he is much more consistent about eating peach fuzzies.

And his anal plate is starting to become unfolded! Just a tiny bit of the end of it still seems to be tucked under.

6 Likes

What adorable images, @solarserpents . Gila really is a cute little thing.

3 Likes

Gila is looking great! Interesting that the issue with his anal scale seems to be resolving.

I can’t remember if you already said this somewhere, but how old is he? Did you get him as an adult? Just wondering if the anal scale thing could be related to him growing/maturing? :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

Yeah, he’s a wild caught adult, so I don’t really know his age.

2 Likes