My new black widows

Here are my 2 new additions to my family. The big one is a southern black widow and wee tiny the western. Sorry i dont have a camera so my pictures are from my phone so the macro isnt great. Ill be posting more as they get settled in the new enclosures i built. I gotta give them time to build their webbing.

4 Likes

Those are neat! How do you feed them without destroying their webs?

2 Likes

The black widow spider has silk as strong as kevlar and they build messy webs not pretty like a orb weaver. I feed them pin head crickets and flightless fruit flies i never feed them wild caught insects because of the risk of contaminants. The large one could probably take larger prey.

3 Likes

She already found her spot :heart: :spider:

2 Likes

She has already started spinning her new webs. Quite honestly i think spiders as a whole get a bad rep and the “news” reports and pest control paint them in a bad light playing on peoples fears.

3 Likes

Those are very very cool. Id have some as pets in enclosures, but they run free all over the place here!

3 Likes

I just noticed an interesting thing under black light my black widow’s eyes and back marking floresce green! I had no idea they even had back markings! I will try my best to get a marco of her under black light.

3 Likes

Now you have me wanting to get my blacklight out tonight and go look around outside!

2 Likes

That sounds like it would be lots of fun. I wish i was more able bodied to enjoy the outdoors more. I miss activities like camping, hiking, fishing hunting and just having a connection to nature. I always have to use tons of OFF because bugs just love me :joy: i know there are some adaptive activities but being unable to drive severely limits my options. I wish i knew more people that love the things i do and would be willing to go on adventures i have no problems paying them for gas especially given current prices.

3 Likes

My baby girl southern caught her first medium cricket in her new enclosure and i couldnt be prouder or happier.

3 Likes

She is such a voracious eater she nabbed her second cricket. Im not overfeeding her as researchers has found that they can be gluttonous like humans and will kill but not eat them.

1 Like