New Carpet Coming

No not in the house. We are getting a new carpet chameleon shipped down to us. Should be here Thursday morning. Here is a preview of her enclosure. Her and her enclosure were paid for by a donation to the outdoor education program. We footed the bill for the rest.

It’s an 18x18x36 with a good mix of potting soul and peat moss with several plants I couldn’t identify if you told me the names. I know there’s pothos! Also, some dairy cows and powder orange I scavenged from other enclosures.

If you look close, there’s no door on it. I broke the plastic peg off of the top rail several days ago. Luckily Zoo Med sent me a new set and I got the door back on. Scary tense moment.

This one sits on the counter at my wife’s job. Hence the basketballs in the background. It will probably evolve more with additional branches and limbs and maybe more foliage somehow.

6 Likes

Nice! Carpets are amazing! That enclosure is really cool! Love the tree.

I have found prayer plants work and look great in those setups as well. They spread out but will also cover up some of the back glass if you don’t use a full background.

2 Likes

The enclosure will be setting on a counter so that people can see it from all sides. But prayer plants are a good idea.

1 Like

I might also just add more climbing branches.

1 Like

We may add a few more branches, but she’s getting around pretty good. We got her in today.

5 Likes

Oh my gosh she’s adorable. Do you have a name picked out??

1 Like

She was named Cammie by the wife’s boss.

1 Like

Awesome name!!

1 Like

Got an updated picture of her today. She’s gotten a little bigger and had some great colors going on today.

7 Likes

Wow! Looking very slick!

2 Likes

She’s a beautiful girl! I’d keep a carpet, but there just aren’t enough captive bred ones around. I hear the captive bred ones are pretty hardy though.

3 Likes

We got her from Frank Payne. Go to his website and get on the waiting list. He sells out in less than 24 hours.

3 Likes

Hey, how’s she doing? And you weren’t kidding, I checked out Frank Payne, and added myself to the waiting list, but I haven’t been able to find Carpet Chameleons (Furcifer lateralis) anywhere, that’s one of very few sources I was even able to put in about a waiting list! I’ve had a specific enclosure ready for months, and finally decided on a species to work with, these are definitely one of my favorites.

4 Likes

Whoo, yep. 9 months or so wait. The enclosure should be plenty grown out and settled in by then…

4 Likes

That is for the best as it will help him/her settle in better.

4 Likes

Yep, at least you can know he/she will be really comfortable in her new home. I seed my large bin of substrate with springs 10-12 months before using to make sure there is a healthy population and the substrate has the perfect pH.

That might be overkill, but at least with isopods they explode consistently within months living on the substrate. And darts seem content with the springtail-rich substrate. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

She is doing really good. Growing up pretty well. She is at my wife’s job, in the fitness center, so folks get to try and find her in the 18x18x36 enclosure she is in.

Its definitely worth the wait.

4 Likes

Well, of course. As I’ve stated before, it’s been started and ready for several months. This was sarcasm, @lumpy, almost a year of enclosure prep is a bit excessive, by the end of the 9 month span, it will be over a year.

4 Likes

I know lol, I was being sarcastic too. I can’t wait to see your chameleon when you get it.

4 Likes