New Hobbyist in NH

Hello everyone! I’m Kida, I’m new-ish to reptile keeping. I used to love catching wild things like garter snakes when I was a kid, but my mother was afraid of snakes so I was never allowed to have one. I had some green anoles as a kid and I got a bearded dragon once I moved in with some friends, but I’ve finally got the means and freedom to begin my reptile adventure for real. About a month ago, I got my first snake, an Everglades rat snake hatchling. Her name is Baskara and I’m completely in love. She may very well be the start of a future breeding project. I’ve fallen so hard for this snake I’m looking into getting a corn snake so I’ve got a buddy during the day too! I love rat snakes or all sorts. They’re an incredible group of colubrids, easy to care for but beautiful and active snakes. Someday I’d love to get a pair of blue beauties or rhino rats.
I may pop in to ask questions as they arise, but I’m likely to be a lurker for the most part. Looking forward to absorbing information from more seasoned reptile keepers!

4 Likes

Welcome to the community. If you would like any care tips on your Everglades rat snake then I would love to give you all the info I have gathered for them. I myself have an adult female albino striped black rat snake (both are variants of the Eastern rat snake) so I can say that their personalities are some of the best out of the snakes I have encountered. It is also nice that they are such large colubrids.

Welcome to the community, and your Everglades rat snake has a beautiful name!

Welcome to the community. I am here looking to learn and lurk too. I’m about to get my first bull snake here sometime in the next few months, but I would love to hear more about your growing collection and passion.

Welcome to the community! :grin: