New jumping spider won’t eat

Yaaaaaayy!!! :partying_face::tada::partying_face: So glad she finally ate something for you! I guess she just needed more fruit flies to choose from so she could select the perfect one. Or maybe she just needed more time to settle in. Who knows! But it’s such a relief that she finally took something for you. Fingers crossed that this is just the first of many bugs she eats with you! :crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

Well of course! Haven’t you heard of “the more the merrier”? :laughing:

3 Likes

Are these pet store sizes? I’d usually be ordering from somewhere that goes by length, 1/8"-1/4" is usually as big as I’d go for safety, since as I’m sure you know, crickets can bite back. As for the surplus, you could always make cricket flour to mix into food for your geckos!

3 Likes

How do you make this? I end up with a lot of dead uneaten crickets……. :thinking:

3 Likes

I give you: How to make DIY Cricket Flour
The only changes you’d make are that there’s no need for blanching or mixing with other flours if you’re using the cricket flour to feed pets.

3 Likes

Thank you! Yes this flour will only be used for my crestie. Lol! So this makes me a little nervous? I have seen on the news that people are being encouraged to eat bugs………:face_with_peeking_eye::face_with_spiral_eyes:. I am going to check my flour…… !!!

2 Likes

Yes. Just from having watched a fair number of jumping spider feeding videos, I’m pretty confident that at least a few of the crickets I offered must’ve been the appropriate size. I guess my spider’s just a total diva, hehe…

I have seen a leopard gecko die from having been chewed on by crickets. It’s why I won’t feed them to any soft bodied pets of mine.

Eeeeeew! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I don’t think I’ve heard if that before but I think I can guess what that is.

3 Likes

Well, lemme tell you, my state has at least one cricket farm that sells alllll the cricket goodies, including cricket powder (aka flour) that Snake Discovery did a video on:

3 Likes

Hey come on! Get with the program! Crickets may be the new caviar!!! :wink::laughing::joy:

3 Likes

Bengal continues to eat fruit flies with gusto! Until her next molt and she’s demonstrated a stronger ability to climb safely, I’m keeping her in some makeshift, lower-level quarters. I also ordered an enclosure that’s good for younger juvies, elderly adults, or poor climbers (4”x4”x4” = 10.2cm x 10.2cm x 10.2cm). It’s arrived and looks great, but I hesitate to move Bengal again when she’s already had to remake her web hammock so many times recently. I also ordered some blue bottle fly ‘spikes’ (larvae), which are supposed to be a big favorite of jumpers, but Bengal was not interested. I suspect they’re still too big for her preference or ability.

Also, side story- I am totally unused to keeping crickets, and I managed to screw something up so that all but a few of the crickets I had originally gotten for Bengal died abruptly! I felt terrible, and tried to save the ones still alive. Now only one is left alive, and I’ve been trying to nurse it back to health. I know odds of success are low, but I feel I need to try. Either way, I’ve ended up with a pet cricket. Nobody tell my sister! :woman_facepalming:

Look at Bengal’s nice, normal size abdomen!

4 Likes

That’s so awesome, I’m so glad she’s doing better! Personally, I’d avoid rehousing her for a while unless it’s really necessary. If she’s able to get around to everything she needs in her current digs, I’d just leave her be. She’s finally eating and doing well, I’d hate to see her backtrack because she’s stressed about being moved again. She looks great!

That’s so funny that you now have a pet cricket. :joy: Don’t feel too badly about the cricket casualties, I’ve always struggled to keep crickets alive. I only buy a dozen at a time, because that’s about the number I can feed off in a week, and after a week, they usually start dying off.

5 Likes

Exactly what I was thinking! :blush: Her interim home is aesthetically inferior, but functionally it’s just fine. It has a good amount if floorspace where she can watch prey insects zooming around to and fro.

Dude what’s even more ridiculous is that I’ve grown fond of it. :woman_facepalming: I made it a little ‘house’ and everything! I’m almost certain it’s not going to pull through, it doesn’t look so hot, but if it does I’m totally going to keep it. Man, I’m such a weirdo!

4 Likes

I love it! You are a very resourceful person! Actually you are a HOOT! And I say this in all love and respect because you sound like so much fun and willing to live on the edge ( with cricket of course) :rofl::joy::rofl::joy::+1::sunglasses:

I am sooooooo glad Bengal is spinning! So I am curious. Do you have a refrigerator full of spider delicacies? Lol! I wish I had a way to spill the beans to your sister about “cricket”…….:shushing_face::face_with_hand_over_mouth::wink:

God bless you and Bengal, and Cricket! :heart:

4 Likes

Yes, haha! Some of my elderly female geckos that have a rough time during breeding season (discomfort) were having a blast getting spoiled with waxworms and silkworms. One of my 20-year old leopard geckos, Pablo (female), always lays at least one slug a year. It really taxes her body, so she’s getting lots of extra snacks!

Sadly, the cricket didn’t pull through. At least I know she died in a peaceful environment; I did the best I could. :woman_shrugging:

Bengal has been going totally nuts over fruit flies! She even grabbed one and started eating it right in front of me, after I waited patiently, and it was super exciting! I took a pic, and I’ll share it as you can’t really see the fly she’s eating, only another one nearby:

Bengal watching me watching her

Click to focus pic.

4 Likes

Oh my goodness! I can see her precious little face! I am so sorry about Cricket but you did your very best! I can’t believe your leopards have lived so long! Your posts bring a little lift to my day!

God bless you dear one! :heart::blush::+1::sunglasses:

3 Likes

Sad to hear about your little cricket friend, but you tried. I’m so glad Bengal is loving her fruit flies! I always found those to get the best feeding response when I kept regius & audax.

3 Likes

Guess who molted?! I was so excited! I also got her a new enclosure with a height she seems to be more comfortable with. She’s been slaughtering fruit flies on the regular too!

8 Likes

Yay! I am so happy that she seems to be thriving for you now @mblaney!

4 Likes

Yaaayyy!!! So glad to hear she’s doing so well now after a bit of a rough start after she arrived. She’s looking great, and her enclosure is adorable!

4 Likes

Glad she is eating and doing well for you! Btw where did you get the enclosure?

I got a jumping spider :spider: a couple of weeks ago and she spun a cocoon right after I put her in her house. She stayed in the cocoon until last night when she finished molting. Now she is busy webbing the place and loves her light. She is fairly good size. I have a small cricket and a couple of meal worms in with her but she has not left her web making yet. The breeder says not to worry and that she will be fine. I am assuming she will grab a bite when she gets tired of webbing and then web around it Lol! At first she would hide when she saw me but now she just goes about her business with me hovering over her! Lol!

Also, do you have any substrate in there? I can’t tell from the picture? Here is a pic of Holiday:

5 Likes