Newcomer to Dart Frogs, Would Love Advice

This is beautiful and needs to be restated!

1 Like

This thread is making me want dart frogs lol :laughing:

1 Like

Whenever I get these dart frogs, I was kinda dreading having to get them shipped, because I know they’re pretty fragile, but turns out I may be able to buy them locally because a reptile store that also sells amphibians opened up near me recently, and my local reptile expo turns out to have a lot of dart frog breeders.

3 Likes

I think various species of darts would be the only step into the amphib realm that I can think of at this time. I want some tinctorius some of those bumblebee ones, maybe the strawberry one with the blue legs and prob the famous golden dart.

I just wish they existed as say…pacman frog size. Just imagine the size of a pacman or pixie frog (or some other large chunky frog/toad) but with the coloration of a dart frog. That would be my dream amphib. Too bad I don’t think it exists.

1 Like

The only one I can think of is the Indian bullfrog, but those aren’t in the hobby

If you like the strawberry poison dart frogs but you want something pixie frog sized, you may like the tomato frog. They have similar red colors and aren’t to hard to find.

1 Like

This has since changed :sweat_smile:I have no idea how many I plan to keep now. Maybe all of them?

3 Likes

Lol, now that is a lot of frogs!

1 Like

How many Epipedobates tricolor’s do you think I could reasonably keep in a 36L x 18D x 24H enclosure?

A lot, maybe 10-16. Keep in mind when researching to check the source, there’s a big difference between the recommendations of a hobbyist and a large seller trying to sell more (and we all know which one will keep the frogs healthiest). That large of a tank will be tricky to maintain but it could be done, there would have to be multiple feeding areas, lots of files (likely many cultures), lots of plants and maintenance, and the hard part of keeping track of that many frogs. But I think it could be done and it would turn out amazing.

2 Likes

36x18x24 is a nice size enclosure that would give you a lot of flexibility in stocking. If you are open to other stocking options, you could also consider Epipedobates anthonyi or Ameerega trivittata which are good group frogs. Ameerega bassleri are truly stunning (IMO), though harder to find, and do better in larger enclosures like you are considering.

Another option are the Phyllobates species which tend to be larger, more robust, and they also do well in groups. There’s something really impressive about a group of bicolors, or mint or black foot terribilis. They can also tackle a wider variety of prey items, which may give you more flexibility in feeding if you don’t want to culture fruit flies.

Fly culturing is likely the biggest challenge I’ve seen for folks starting out. I’d recommend getting started culturing about a month before your buy your frogs so you have the process down before you bring in your frogs. Running out of flies is really stressful on you and your frogs. I keep more active cultures than I need in case a local frogger needs help recovering from a culture crash (it will happen eventually). Try and connect with local froggers - it will pay off in the future. My first frogs came from a local hobbyist across town, and I’ve both received and given cultures to local keepers when we needed help.

This is my first post; I’m fairly new here, but I’m a long time frogger. It’s an addicting hobby. Be prepared…you won’t stop at one viv!

4 Likes

I’d definitely be open to some Ammerga bassleri or Epipedobates anthonyi

2 Likes

For this size frog, how many would you say would be appropriate for that size tank?

1 Like

Is that in inches?

We used to have goldens in a viv that size (if that’s in inches). We had a trio :blush:

If that’s in cm none would be ok. They’re very active frogs!

1 Like

One day, I think that I would like to have a nice sized take of dart frogs. It seems that it would be pretty sick to have. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Oh boy, this thread isn’t going to be good for my wallet. Luckily I’ve told myself no frogs until I have a proper living room to display them in. What are some plants that are popularly used? Is there anything that flowers? Has anyone tried a mini water feature with fish before in there vivariums?

1 Like

I can’t wait to get frogs! Yes, I am thinking about it lol :laughing:!

1 Like

Yes, inches.

1 Like

Apologies - yes my assumption was inches - 36"x18"x24" - I thought I saw that size quoted earlier in the conversation. That’s a nice size viv to work with that provides lots of options.

And I agree - a group of 3-4 terribilis would be great in that setup. I’d also recommend a hardscape that makes the height useful - terraces, shelves, interlocking branches - provide climbing opportunities that provide access to the vertical space to a big bodied frog like a terribilis.

2 Likes