Nidovirus is a Big Problem

I agree with this! We need to test so that we know if our collections are actually “clean”.

As far as further prevention, Travis states that you can use light in certain cases. Asura says that you can’t. I would say, we have to examine both sides of the boat, in the same way. We must inspect everything.

3 Likes

When UV was mentioned Wyman flipped to airgapped UVC. Perhaps im mistaken, but is UVC not a type of UV? You have me confused as to how that is a flip on context. You said light couldnt be used to fight nidovirus, Wyman offered a way it could be, and conceded it was unlikely anyone would go through the trouble to set it up. Where is the flip here?

3 Likes

Im gonna level with you here. As soon as you leveled accusations at me i didnt read the rest. You see, i have been here discussing things, i have multiple posts of discussion. The unfortunate bit is that the message you are trying to put out is great, but is ultimately defeated by the tone and approach of the person saying it.

What science? You have been asked to provide the science you are referencing. You have produced only insults. This is the problem with today, people are so ready to call things science without knowing the first thing about the scientific method or how to provide credible reference/citation. They read hearsay and repeat it as fact, and if you deign to question it, you are met with nothing but insults.

You want to know why Nido isnt taken as serious as it should be? Because when some people push for it to be taken seriously, crusaders come out of the woodwork and drive the community away instead of simply providing relivant documentation and research.

See how the OP was polite, and addressed the issue and has remained civil? That is the proper way to raise awareness, and your constant insults and commentary have turned the room so to speak. It was a civil discussion which raises awareness far more than what you have done here.

The only shame is that you did not heed my advice to take a breather and ground yourself to better present your opinions so perhaps we might understand eachother.

My goal isnt to defend Wyman, it is to try and show you how much you botched your attempt to convince people to treat a very serious issue with the gravit deserves. You litterally turned yourself into the bad guy, and instead of realizing this, you have pushed on with more insults and removed all room for discussion on this issue.

7 Likes

Let’s remember to just criticize ideas not people. So that the conversation can remain healthy for all members.

7 Likes

I noticed it effects the morphs more severe than the “normals” can’t imagine why and some animals can live with it forever.

I hate to sound heartless on this one, but i doubt it actually affects one more than the other, its likely a matter of people talking about it or reporting it happened. If a person loses a collection of thousands of dollars of snakes, they are unlikely to mention the normals that died, or if somebody pays 40$ compared to 400$ for the animal they likely arent getting a necropsy to confirm infection unless they have a collection they are looking to protect and are playing it safe. But most normals exist in hobbyists not in breeders, so my guess would be alot of infection goes unnoticed as Nido mainly becomes a big issue when mixed with bad husbandry. Under proper conditions most snakes will live just fine for years with Nido, it wont go away, but it will be just about asymptomatic. When stresses are added, thats when things quickly spiral out of control. Its still a very serious matter as nobody wants to live on the knifes edge of “if my parameters fall for a day or two will my snake kick the bucket?” But for many who dont have the funds for more expensive morphs, and as such, autopsies, it will likely just be chalked up to a URI and they will never know if it was Nido or not

3 Likes