Not the most auspicious start: TWO problem girls

This has been a frustrating day. Took Aria in, thought the decision was made to spay her. I waited around for a couple hours, then one of the vets came in and said she was still hoping to avoid surgery. I’m skeptical that this is possible, but Aria was again drugged and worked on. If there is no progress overnight, they’ll schedule surgery. I personally haven’t seen any movement of anything since Sunday morning. My poor baby. :cry:

Thank you, everyone, for your support. And for the reminder to try and take care of myself. Dan does his best to tend to me but I know I’m a challenge at best, worse when stuff like this is happening. And on that note, I’m off to take some migraine meds and lie down.

10 Likes

I am so sorry to hear it’s looking like Aria will need to be spayed, and that she had to undergo further procedures today. Fingers crossed that she can end up avoiding surgery yet, but I also know how it is to just want the spay to be done and over with as quickly as possible for her sake.

I hope the migraine meds do their thing, and that you’re able to feel better despite all that is going on.

7 Likes

Frustrating is probably a huge understatement with the amount of time and stress this has put on you! The good news is hopefully either way this should be the last night worrying about her. Also if she does have to have surgery I have known a lot of snakes that have had to and all the ones I have heard of have recovered just fine! Of course she can’t lay for you, but I am sure with the difficulty’s she has had this season you were not planning on breeding her again anyway. Sorry this happened, but I think you have done all you could have, and done everything right as well! Fingers still crossed for you, heck I’ll even cross my toes! Get some much needed rest!

7 Likes

Caryl, you should rest easy knowing you guys have done right by Aria every step of the way! :+1::snake:. I would think the vet would have done something by now but I am sure he/she knows what is going on!:snake::blush:

5 Likes

You are all wonderful. I am so grateful for the kindness and support of the community. My headache is a bit better, not great. Did get some sleep last night.

Aria and I are still in a holding pattern. She had no change overnight. Apparently the vet doesn’t think she’s in imminent danger but she is tentatively scheduled for surgery late today or early tomorrow. The vet who’ll do the surgery is thinking she may be fine with endoscopic removal of the eggs rather than an open spay. I told him that I’m not concerned with preserving her reproductive capacity; Aria’s future (and I’m hoping she has one) is simply to be a pet. You’re right, @banereptiles, I would not breed her again after this. The vet said that he is basing this on the ease of recovery for the patient. Of course, the endoscopic egg removal surgery could easily become a full spay. I’m waiting for a call from the vet. I’ll let y’all know more when I know more.

Oh, on a hopefully positive note, Dazzler is beginning to lay. Six eggs so far. Relatively small ones, and she’s a big girl so hopefully she will have no troubles.

7 Likes

Sorry there where no positive changes last night, at least the vet thinks she is looking well and strong- that’s a good thing! I know by now you are not enjoying playing the waiting game, hopefully the vet calls soon and everything goes smoothly and swiftly after that!

5 Likes

This is a very good thing. I’m holding on to hope.

5 Likes

No news is apparently good news. When I talked to Aria’s vet this afternoon, he said she seems strong and he’s going to wait a bit to do surgery. Two reasons, basically. First, he wants to be sure any potential infection in her reproductive tract is under control before he goes into it with instruments and internal washing/fluids. Second, he is actually hoping that she may make more progress on her own, maybe after she sheds. (She’s very blue now.) He also thought she’d be less stressed and more likely to progress at home. So she’s at home. We’ll continue with antibiotics and twice daily soaks in Baytril-water. And continue to wait. Phone and video with the vet daily, bring her back in if she goes downhill at all.

I don’t want to rush her into surgery if she can get by without it. I’m all too aware of how hard it is to recover from major surgery and if Aria can avoid it, that would be great. But when/if she needs it, she will get it.

9 Likes

Sending more positive vibes to you and Aria. Sounds like her vet is on point with her care. :pray::heart::snake:

5 Likes

I can’t believe this but it’s real, unfortunately. First the Aria update: she’s is continuing to get her meds and have her relaxing Baytril water soaks. She seems calmer, I’m sure she’s happier at home. She’s deep in blue. Oh, all nine of the eggs she laid look healthy so that’s a blessing.

Now the part I can’t believe. Dazzler had 6 eggs when I checked her early yesterday, and then she stopped laying. She’s still stuffed with eggs. She drank well yesterday morning and evening but didn’t progress. I put her in the tub for a swim this morning. Hopefully that’ll get things moving again. Five of the six eggs already have good veins. They’re small but look healthy. I’ve set them up to incubate, hoping that they’re soon joined by siblings-to-be.

Edit: I’ve never before had two problem females in the same year.

8 Likes

Oh goodness, what is up with the craziness this season?! I can’t believe all the stress. I really hope that Dazzler is just taking a break to recharge and she’ll get the rest out on her own without needing vet intervention. I’m so sorry you’re having to deal with so much right now. :people_hugging: I’ll keep on sending all of my healing thoughts to you and your girls.

6 Likes

Oh man! What a year. I hope she manages to get them out without issue.

6 Likes

I hope you are just over worried about this female since the problems you are dealing with has got you stressed out so bad. I would think she would lay, sometimes they do take little breaks throughout but usually are done in the same day. I really hope you don’t have another egg bound female! That’s a lot for anyone to deal with! Was it the same male for these two girls? If so you need to give him a stern talking to!

6 Likes

Not gonna lie, I’m majorly stressed. I’m also tired of journeying to and from the vet. It’s almost an hour and a half each way, not counting time waiting in the office. I also picked up a screw in my tire on Monday, which I discovered when I got in the car with Aria on Tuesday. Dan came to the rescue there. I don’t think I’ll be heading anywhere today, thankfully, and hopefully Dazzler will get back to laying on her own today.

I’ve been going over and over the past year’s husbandry in my head. I swear, I haven’t done anything different than usual. Same feeding schedule, same calcium+vitamin D3 supplements, same monthly probiotic. I have gotten feeders from more than one source over the past year but they’ve all come from reputable places and I can’t believe that’s it. Dazzler and Aria have lived in the same vivs for years with sticks to climb, bedding for burrowing, handling and outdoor excursions. No clue why they’re both having issues. It’s Aria’s first/last clutch, but Dazzler has had a few clutches without problems. Then there’s Victory, who’s apparently being weird, too. She shed 24 days ago and doesn’t seem to be interested in laying. A couple years ago she had two “pre-lay sheds” before laying so maybe she’s gonna do that again. Sunlight had her pre-lay shed today. I sincerely hope things smooth out.

I’m venting. Sorry. It’s a very strange season here.

8 Likes

Venting is encouraged! Get it all out! Sounds like it’s just a weird fluke and nothing you’ve done wrong.

6 Likes

I’m also hoping that Dazzler just needed a break and will manage okay eventually. She’s never had a problem before. She’s a big girl and the eggs she’s laid are not big, so hopefully she’ll be okay. She and Aria had different mates, both first-time sires.

5 Likes

Thanks for that. I very much appreciate the support. :heart: :snake:

4 Likes

Here’s Dazzler having a swim this morning.

8 Likes

And Aria with the eggs she successfully laid before getting stuck.

10 Likes

They’re terrible phone pics, but I did want to post them. Thank you again for being there for us. :heart: :blue_heart: :purple_heart: :sparkling_heart: :heartpulse:

7 Likes