Photos of my collection [Solar Serpents]

Oh I love those crisp borders! Olivia, do they keep the clean borders all the way through adulthood?

4 Likes

More or less. Sometimes they thin out a little bit with age and as the saddle color fills in. I’m hoping they stay thick, though.

5 Likes

Riley, I thought of you when I saw this pretty grey babies. :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Yeah I’m a big fan of the grey scales in snakes :wink:

5 Likes

I find that a lot of people are initially drawn to corns for the bright colors, but after being in the hobby for a while, your start to appreciate the more subtle, less flashy coloration. I think that’s how cinder ended up being my favorite mutation!

5 Likes

I love that third pic of Ember(?). She’s so unique looking. That cinder het! (IIRC.)

4 Likes

Yup, she’s het cinder. She makes it pretty obvious! She’s one of the ones who really needs an updated photo, although she hasn’t changed much.

3 Likes

I think you’re onto something there. I have always enjoyed the subtle tones and delicate shadings of individual variations which don’t require bright colors to shine. Not that I don’t love brightly colored morphs, too. I pretty much love corn snakes any color, any size. :heart: :blue_heart: :purple_heart:

4 Likes

Fresh photos of a few snakes that needed updates!

10 Likes

How could anyone NOT love cornsnakes?

5 Likes

No idea! I sure do!

4 Likes

You have so many beautiful animals! I know close to nothing about corn genetics, can you tell me what makes up the 2nd and 3rd pictures of your latest update?

3 Likes

Thank you!

The first two photos are lavender pinstripe motley, the third photo is sunkissed anery, the fourth photo is sunkissed tessera, and the fifth and sixth are ultramel tessera.

3 Likes

How does the sunkiss present? If its the yellow in the anery I see that, but not sure on the tessera. Also tessera and motley are pattern variations right? They are all so pretty, I think I have underestimated corns.

3 Likes

Sunkissed one of the hypo types (reduces melanin) and changes the pattern. Combined with some morphs, it does seem to add color as well. Sunkissed usually creates a blobby or messy head pattern, a break in the cheek stripe, and the saddles will look more square. With anery, yes, it does usually add yellow (sometimes a lot of yellow!). On the tessera, sunkissed is what is making the pattern look so messy. (Compare the pattern of the sunkissed tessera to the ultramel tessera. The ultramel tessera has a very clean stripe down the back and the tessellated sides. The sunkissed tessera barely even has a tessera stripe because it’s so broken up and messy.)

And yes, tessera and motley are pattern morphs. Both can vary, but tesseras usually change the pattern to a bold stripe down the back, with highly tessellated sides. Motley, in its regular form, creates little circles down the back. It also erases the belly checkers leaving a white belly. There are a few different types of motley. The lavender pinstripe motley shows what pinstripe looks like. Instead of the small circles, it’s a skinny stripe down the back, with or without breaks in the stripe.

Check out the morphpedia for more info on the base mutations! And feel free to ask any other questions you think of. I love corns and their morphs, so I’m always happy to talk about them! :grin:

3 Likes

Thank you that was a great explanation! They are all so pretty and I love learning about genetics so thank you for taking the time to explain all that.

3 Likes

I couldn’t resist picking up this little Peppermint at the show this weekend. She was a super good deal and it’s a morph I’ve wanted for a while.

11 Likes

They’re all so beautiful! I love seeing your updates. :heart_eyes: :star_struck: Congrats on the Peppermint pickup, too! I have admired that morph since I saw the first back in the day. I like a lot of Cinder morphs but I think Peppermint with saddles is my favorite. I think. It’s hard! Have you chosen a name for your new addition yet?

Exactly right. :100:

3 Likes

I think I’m going to call her Patty.

I pretty much love every cinder combo, so eventually I might just have one of each!

4 Likes

Patty, that’s classic! Love it. I haven’t seen a Cinder combo I didn’t admire. I thought I was maybe going to expand that direction last year but didn’t find the right opportunities.

3 Likes