Possible early signs of an URI?

I’ve noticed a vary faint almost hissing sound coming from a new retics mouth every now and then. I know for sure it isn’t just being vocal and actually hissing.
I have observed any bubbles or mucus coming from the mouth and when I looked inside I don’t think anything looked abnormal. Anyone had anything similar to this? Any tips on the situation?
Husbandry is correct and consistent.

Let’s see how this work in practise… :blush:

For us to help you work out what your problem is, please fill in the criteria below in the comments.

For the best possible advice please post images alongside and any extra information you deem relevant.

Quick Questions

What reasons do you have for believing you have an issue?:

SPECIES:

SUBSPECIES:

GENETICS:

WEIGHT:

When did you purchase your animal?:

When was the last successful feeding?:

Has your snake lost any weight since the last successful feeding? If so how much?:

Prey type:

Prey weight (in grams):

Pray state? (Frozen/thawed, pre-killed, or live):

Describe your feeding method (including your thawing/warming methods if applicable):

How frequently are you offering food (successful or unsuccessful)?:

How frequent are you handling your snake?:

How long is a typical handling session?:

Enclosure:

Type/Material (Glass, Pvc, D.i.y, Wood, Racks ect):

Dimensions (length x width x height):

Measuring your Ventilation holes, how many square inches of ventilation total? (W(inches) X L(inches) = (inches)² of ventilation):

What Heat Sources are you using? (type, wattage and brand):

What’s your heat sources location in enclosure:

What is Thermostats set too? (for each heat source):

What Thermometers and hygrometers are you using? (digital or analog, probe or ambient, location in enclosure):

What are your Temperature readings? (ambient and floor, warm side and cool side):

What is the Humidity range within the enclosure? (warm and cool side):

What is the humidity range Outside of the enclosure? (The room the animal is kept in):

What Hides are you using? (number, type, size relative to the snake, location):

What Substrate are you using? (type and depth):

What Lights are you using? (type, schedule, location, temperature):

Was this a typo? You have or have not? It seems like a typo in context.

Bump the humidity up for a day or two and see if it changes. The usual early warning signs are lack of appetite, ticking/rasping, laying oddly with the head tilted up, mucus, etc.

Correct, that is a typo.
@eaglereptiles, I will get back to you with all that info when I have a chance.
Thanks for your concern.

1 Like

I don’t own retics yet, but I noticed my ball pythons making similar noises a few weeks ago, and popped open their mouths. (Individually, of course!) There were small amounts of opaque saliva in the very back of their throats, and I couldn’t see anywhere further than that as I had been in the past, when I do general wellness checks. I just bumped up the humidity and it cleared up in a couple days. From my experience, probably the very beginnings of a URI, and should be easily fixed with a bit more humidity! :smile: