Probing female 7 scales

Hi everyone. I recently purchased a 1500 gram female from a new seller here. They seem to be honest . I really don’t do good with popping but I do probe. When I probe I easily get 7 scales. However the seller showed me a pic of her on eggs and I matched the pattern and seems to be her 100% . My question is. Is it possible for a female to probe 7 scales ?

2 Likes

Yes it is possible. Many years ago I picked up a “male” Biak green tree python that I just couldn’t get to lock with any female no matter what I tried…for two years. Finally I put him with another male and they were locked in minutes. SHE was probed at 11 scales on both sides of the tail several times over the period of the two years. I’ve seen much more odd happen.

4 Likes

Wow this answer really helps me a lot . Thank you for sharing your experience !

2 Likes

I currently have a group of gopher snakes that probe all sorts of weird and wrong for their gender, but I know which ones have laid eggs and which ones haven’t, so it could be worse. I can see their gender in their faces, I swear. Maybe it’s that I recognize their individual faces, so to speak, so knowing their individual identity I automatically snap-to-grid their gender, somehow…but it feels like I can just tell in certain colubrids, but that’s probably just confirmation bias.

2 Likes