Question about mack snow breeding

Ok so my female was a Mack snow white and yellow eclipse het for blazing blizzard…The male was supposedly just a straight mack snow. Unfortunately my female laid only two fertile eggs…
One a mack snow white and yellow. And the other is solid pink, dark eyes. no marking whatsoever…Now I cant figure out what happened. What hets could the male have had and whats the possiblities of this little ones morph…Thanks.

5 Likes

It sounds like it could be a blizzard, which means that the male would be het for blizzard. If you can get pictures of the parents and babies that would help.

5 Likes

I agree. Sounds like a blizzard. Pictures will help.

5 Likes

3 Likes

put up pics of the baby.

2 Likes

I just did, it above your post.

2 Likes

I’ve never personally hatched out blizzards, so I don’t know exactly what those babies look like, but it does look like a blizzard, which would mean that the male is also het blizzard.

2 Likes

But most blizzards have some grey or yellow on their backs dont they? This one is 6 weeks old now and shows no color, maybe Im being impatient…Also the eyes look solid, I cant see well enough to tell but can see color in the siblings eyes already.

3 Likes

Sometimes it can take a while to develop. If it weren’t a blizzard, I don’t know what else it would be. Blizzards have solid eyes, so I think that’s likely what it is.

4 Likes

Looks like a Pet-Only Blizzard with other genetics unknown. I would remove the male from any future breeding, and mark any offspring he’s sired as Pet Only.

4 Likes

Im keeping his offspring myself. Might breed back to him to see whats up…Im am upset, I did buy the male from a reputable breeder, not sure how this happened…

3 Likes

Sadly surprise hets can be pretty common. Even reputable breeders will get a surprise from an animal in their collection from time to time.

For example, if they had purchased a female snow for their colony from another breeder who had been working on blizzard snows a few generations ago.

Breeding a blizzard to a normal would give you normals that are 100% het for blizzard.

If you breed that het to another normal, the blizzard gene is passed down to around 1/2 of the offspring. You can’t tell which ones have it though. So they are all labeled as 50% het for blizzard.

After that? If you breed a 50% het to a normal… You don’t know at all. If they didn’t have the gene to begin with, there’s nothing there. If they did have the gene, around 1/2 of those offspring would be hets. Most people won’t even bother tracking it at that point. Some will try to be diligent and list it as ‘possible het’ and explain the situation.

This could have been the issue where your breeder had an undisclosed het and the gene had been sneaking around in the colony.
Honestly, you saved a few bucks by getting a surprise instead of a guaranteed het Blizzard I think. Lol.

The only way to be absolutely sure of not having any other genes I think is you will see breeders list their leos as things like ‘100% pure, no hets’ and the like for some lines originating from WC parents or certain linebreeding projects for color.

4 Likes