Rack Help and Questions

@bluefeathurs Now that you have it you might as well make the best of it I think you can make it work! As long as you have space for it. If you remember show us how pretty you make it look :grin:

The biggest problems I see with the rack here is that there’s no routing for tape and no inset for the pads. Backheat could be an option.

I will! The smaller white one seems to be in pretty good shape so I may clean it and bring it on in, plug it up and just let it run empty for a week or two so I can monitor it since it doesn’t need much real work done.

As for putting in heat tape I can weave it back and forth after cutting slots in the sides. Shouldn’t be too hard, power tools are a blessing! There isn’t an inset for the mats but they do close a small gap on the top. I may even make small wedges to lift the front too so as to make it more flush.

@bluefeathurs I really like racks with those seems like a feature they should all have good luck! :slight_smile:

Thanks! And these are the first I’ve seen with such a gap! Can’t fit a finger through but enough a small one could possibly mash it’s head in :grimacing:.

Corrugated plastic is pretty good to fill the top gap. It can handle the humidity and is light weight. You can find it at arts and craft stores, home improvement stores, or just steal political ad signs (I mean, don’t steal…). You’ll be using it as a “lid” so kind of cumbersome but cheap and easy.

If you had some sort of source for glass you could try adding that to the bottom to protect the heaters and also raise up the tub. Expensive if you don’t have it lying around and you’ll want it tempered.

If you’ve got the power tools you can probably start replacing one shelf at a time with melamine or PVC. You’d just be reusing the shell at the end.

I do not have access to glass, but old signs are definitely a possibility!
Any idea why there would be egg crate behind one of the tubs? Cut to fit the back wall, maybe to keep from being pushed back too far?

In the pictures one of the bins is a different type than the others. Is it for that one? I would also guess it was just stuffed back there to stop it from being pushed back too far. No idea. :frowning:

This is the corrugated plastic I’m talking about from a random link on Amazon just for demonstration. Political signs/yard signs are usually made from it because it holds up to rain, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Falken-Design-COR-WT-6MM-1236-Corrugated/dp/B07BCTT995

There’s actually 2 that are different, he was running out of wood and just made 2 that were slightly smaller.

Maybe you can use the short shelves for hatchlings? :woman_shrugging:

Small adults is more what I’m thinking, because they are only 3ish inches shorter than a 67qt lol. Males maybe? Or maybe I’ll have a female that just likes green better lol

Ended up selling the bigger set of racks for more than I bought the pair. The smaller one is set up and holding my breeder female balls and a young boa. It’s working perfectly with slight modification (had to put something under the front so there wasn’t a gap) and couldn’t be happier with it!

2 Likes

Well they aren’t anything fancy but I’d say I did a pretty good job. What do ya think? I’m curious what others think cause I dont believe I’ve shown my two homemade racks. They also have heat regulators tucked away in the back and I have the temps pre set so it doesn’t heat up or cool down too much

4 Likes

@nathan_e Looks nice!!

1 Like

Thank you! I’m happy with how they turned out.

Aww yeah! That looks rock solid.

Here’s one of my self builds:

Did you end up finding some of the corrugated plastic or something else?

1 Like

Thank you man! Yours looks dope! I love how it looks flush and clean with everything

If I get better at routing I want to sort out how to get the dove tails in for the heat tape. At the moment it’s just 90 degrees. :\

Third time is a charm.

1 Like

I ended up using rigid foam panels I had laying around, can be a pain to open sometimes but I don’t mind. I love how big they are for my biggest girls! They are both around 4.5 feet and they seem to really like it.

@nathan_e , I really like yours!! If you hadn’t said they were home made I wouldn’t have believed it!

1 Like

Thank you very much! I haven’t built a rack before these but I have some experience in woodwork so it helped while making these

1 Like