RECO Anerythristhic [DONE]

Facts

Species: ball python

Name of Gene: RECO Anerythristic

First produced by whom: Engel Reptiles

Year: 2011

Genetics Type (Incdom/Codom/Recessive/Polygenic/etc):
codom and recessive (codom in males, recessive in females)

In complex with other genes?:

Other names/aliases for it?: RECO (for REcessive/COdominant) Anery

Description:

Appearance: Looks a lot like axanthic, deletes the reddish tones

Proven: 100 % proven out, as a single gene and in combos

Unique: When pairing a RECO Anery to an other morph, you can get visual RECO Anerys which are all males. All the females from this clutch are het RECO Anery while the other non visual males are non recessive. That’s absolutely unique and all proven out.

Related Genes:
Problems:

Other History: Any additional history? the full description can be found here:
http://www.engel-reptiles.de/reco-anery.html

References here on the community: none since they never made a big deal out of it even though it is one.

Our worldsfirst RECO Anery Pewter from 2020:

RECO Anery single gene:

RECO Anery Clown:

RECO Anery Piebald:

2 Likes

Speaking with my geneticist hat on here:

1. There is no erythrin pigment in ball pythons, ergo, there can be no anerythristic morphs. The only two pigments in ball pythons are melanin and xanthin.

2. The inheritance pattern for this would be classified as ‘sex-linked recessive’. The mutation is recessive, as observed in females that are heterozygous being non-visual while females that are homozygous are visual. The males appear as visuals because there is no second allele to counter the effect of the mutation. If these reported results are accurate, it would appear there is a small region of difference between the X and Y chromosomes in ball python chromosomes would seem to not carry some subset of genes.

7 Likes

Shhhhh they can believe.

This is fascinating. What does this mean exactly, that the X chromosomes are larger and there is no corresponding Y allele?

1 Like

This is brilliant! :rofl:

Has any pairings with any of the existing lines of Axanthic been done to prove compatibility?

If it is sex linked recessive then this is definitely something fun to add to the hobby, I see lots of punnet squares in the future :wink:

2 Likes

Pairing a male with our Axanthic TSK female is our plan for the next season.
I don’t know if this has already been done :woman_shrugging:t2:

I can only say what the description from engel-reptiles.de says and that all RECOs are definitely interesting looking animals :wink:
in my opinion at least.

1 Like

We know from karyotyping that the X and Y are basically isomorphic. Again, assuming what is being reported her is accurate, the implication would be that there is a small region absent from the Y chromosome that holds this gene but that the region is too small to affect the perceived size of the chromosome

1 Like

So it would, in fact, be impossible to have a Super male. If I’m getting this right, a visual male with technically one set of the gene or heterozygous to a homozygous visual female will result in visual males and visual females. A normal male to visual female will result in all hets with the males being visual (easy to sex!)

1 Like

Nope. No SuperMale possible

Imagine it like this: Two pieces of string, one is one hundred centimeters long (Y chromosome) and the other is one hundred five centimeters long (X chromosome) and you are looking at them from a hot air balloon fifty meters in the air.

From your perspective, the two strings are going to look like they are the same length (karyotype). On the genetic level however, that extra five centimeters on the longer string is where the gene is held. Since the Y chromosome will never have that extra five centimeters, there can never be two copies of the gene

4 Likes

Additional Information and pictures provide by @hengel

“The description from Ben about the RECO Anery morph is quite good. In addition to that I will remark, that in the apperiance, the yellow colour turnes into an olive yellow colour and the black is more intensive. This looks absolutely great. Related to other genes, there are no problems known.”

http://www.engel-reptiles.de/reco-anery.html

I will again make my complaint that:

There is no erythrin pigment in ball pythons, ergo, there can be no anerythristic morphs. The only two pigments in ball pythons are melanin and xanthin and so calling something “Anery” is just flat out wrong.

8 Likes

Sorry but why is the status of this morph still pending? If the name is the only problem than just name it RECO and not RECO Anerythristhic. The experiences with this morph from different people and the pictures prove that this is a own morph. All questions should be answered or can be answered honestly. So there should be no more doubts about it.
Best regards Ben :slight_smile:

1 Like

Pending means we’ve accepted it and it’s on the list for the next bunch of trait updates :wink:

Regarding the RECO “Anerythristic” Ball python it is complete right and accepted that ball pythons only have the ability to produce varying degrees of Melanin and Xanthin. Erythrin did probably not exist. Depending on the variation on this two genes, we visual see a red colour on some Ball Pythons. But it seems, that the RECO Anery has an influence to the ratio of this two genes, that it mainly reduces the visual red colour. Therefore we called it Anery. Additionaly it change also the bright yellow into an oliv yellow.

1 Like

The reddish tone we see in ball pythons is due to an interaction/interference between the melanin and xanthin pigments. The term “anerythristic” very literally means “without erythrin pigment”. It is not about the perceived colour, it is about the actual molecular/genetic level process.

4 Likes

oh okay, thanks that’s good to know and nice to hear. :slight_smile:

1 Like