Rehabbing a friend's bp

Some never do, some will with some tricks like withholding food for a couple weeks(obviously don’t do this to yours at the moment) scenting with very dirty mouse bedding. Some brain a frozen thawed mouse and put the fluid on the rat. I have one of the 4 that are on mice, she is a breeder and last year decided to eat rats when she was in her “super hungry breeding phase” I was so excited, I thought yes she is finally on rats! Then after laying her clutch she refused every time I offered a rat and would only take mice again! She is still on mice now, I always offer though when I feed, no luck! Sorry I couldn’t give you a timeframe, just too many variables and different levels of ball python stubbornness! :joy: Good luck though!

4 Likes

In regards to switching from mice to rats, the smallest changes are the best ones you can make to get them there eventually. Others have already pointed out that just eating at this point is a bonus so I definitely agree that I wouldn’t worry about trying to switch him anytime soon, but when you do, tiny steps. Feed a mouse thawed in water with a rat for a few weeks, then try a mouse scented with a mixture of fresh mouse and rat bedding for a few weeks, then a mouse scented with just the rat bedding, and then if he takes that, you can try a small rat heavily scented in fresh mouse bedding. It’s a pain in the ass to do and doesn’t always work, but this is the method I used to switch my 9yr old female who had been a mouser her whole life, and she now (after about a 6 month switch period) takes rats every time I offer.

But as others have said, him wanting to stay on mice isn’t the end of the world. I have a couple of mine that prefer mice and sometimes I just give them 2-3 mice rather than trying the rat because I know it’s what they prefer.

5 Likes

From the pictures, it looks healthy.
I know you received much to think about and try. I just want to throw out a couple ideas.

1. try covering the glass when feedings it does not see you or other movement.
  2. you could try live rat. Something smaller then the mouse you have been feeding.
  3. once on a steady 7 day schedule, I would then skip a week and try.

We had some that when using glass, we had to cover it so it did not see us when feeding. We left it like that until it was gone. Over time, it did not care if we was seen.

The biggest thing is getting on a regular schedule before trying to make any changes.

5 Likes

Mr man launched himself at me last night for his meal. Glad to have gotten him past the worst of his lack of appetite.

These two are both three years old, and the size difference is pretty unsettling. They both ate yesterday. Plantain on a rat crawler, kane on a medium rat.

4 Likes

They are so lucky to have you. You’re certainly doing right by them @jverz !

3 Likes

Yes there is a size difference, but I have several that are quite a bit smaller then similar aged ones. Some may have started slow, some only mousers, and also there is a lot of natural variation in the size of ball pythons. The important thing is you got it eating consistently! Congratulations! :tada:
Also don’t take the hidden content of your previous post personal or anything, while most of us like to see feeding pics there are too many organizations that are out to get herpers and “exotic” pet owners for no logical reason. MM doesn’t like to give them any ammo in there ignorant quest of outlawing any type of “exotic” pet.

4 Likes

Oh no worries at all! I actually know better, but in my excitement i completely forgot about not posting feed pics.

His breeder said his brother is smaller than some of her other males, but still quite a bit larger than he is. Last time i weighed him he was still under 400g. I should weigh him after he’s defecated to see what his actual weight is now.

4 Likes

Mr man is no longer defensive every time i open his tub. Hes still skinny, but definitely feels better ajd is gaining weight progressively.

8 Likes

Mr Man is looking good! He’s a lucky boy to be in your care/home! He’ll be a chunky monkey before long! :+1::blush:

3 Likes

Glad to hear ab update! I hope you continue to see good progress with him. I’ve read a few places where snakes if the same age can be pretty different sizes, but it sounds like he had some other issues as well. I’m glad he’s eating well now!

4 Likes

I agree with everyone, he is looking great! Good job with him! He really doesn’t look too skinny anymore, by the way I like the top of his head! Very cool markings!

2 Likes

Thanks all. He’s had two f/t rat hoppers, i think a few more and he’ll be ready to size up to a small rat. I’m still tickled pink at how well he switched over once i got him on a schedule.

My friend had named him Plantain. I’ve actually started calling him Rorschach because of his head stamp. Totally looks like one of those ink blot tests.

5 Likes

This dude is such a sweet snake now that hes feeling more secure. Pulled him out to check for shed ajd poop and decided to give him some “exercise” time. Letting him crawl around, supervised. He feels so much more substantial now.

7 Likes

Sure he could probably use a few more meals but he really doesn’t look too skinny at all anymore! Looks healthy and active to me, great job with him!

2 Likes

I think he looks great and that rug he is laying on is a PERFECT background for him! That’s a gorgeous rug! He looks like he should be an Egyptian pharaoh or something!

It’s very heartwarming to see success stories such as his! Great job @jverz (Julie). :heart::pray::snake::+1::blush:

2 Likes

It’s been a while. RL stuff, I got married and have been working my butt off. Good news though, Rorschach, formally plantain, has switched completely off of mice, is on rats, and has upgraded size. He only RECENTLY (like, last two feeds) upgraded to medium rats. His personality has really come out too. He’s my most inquisitive BP.

6 Likes

Congratulations!

2 Likes

How big is he? A medium rat seems huge for anything that isn’t a breeder female. Even my breeder females all get fed small rats. I’d worry he’ll get overweight with medium rats

2 Likes

He is such a purdy boy! And congratulations on the marriage! :skull::ghost::jack_o_lantern:

2 Likes

Is it wrong to hand out all the Sour Patch Kids so I can eat the chocolate?

3 Likes