Rehoming gecko

So im rehoming one of my baby geckos and i thought of giving it to my science teacher, I know her and shes very responsible person but im worried abt the other people. What should i do

1 Like

What are you asking? Before you do anything you should see if they’re interested in it and know the right care. Inaccurate care sheets are everywhere, they should know the risks and necessary things for a leopard gecko (a lot of people aren’t okay with roaches which are essentially required, possible expensive vet bills, egg laying if female, finding someone to care for it if they go on vacations or are too busy, etc.). Also, why are you rehoming? I hope this doesn’t have anything to do with you getting a snake.

1 Like

Im asking if i do decide to rehome will the cold classroom temps help and will it be stressed from the kids

A cold classroom without the appropriate supplemental heat will kill a gecko. You should never give a gecko to someone who hasn’t asked for one, nor should you give one to people you aren’t 100% sure know how to take care of it. It is an even worse idea with babies.

It’s my opinion that leopard geckos are not appropriate pets for children under 12, ever. I do not think a leopard gecko is an appropriate pet for a classroom (obviously)- they are nocturnal, they drop their tails when handled poorly, they have to be fed a very carefully supplemented and balanced diet, they have to have continuously measured temperatures maintained by a thermostat, etc. The set up is not easy for someone to take home on vacations either, so the gecko is likely to get neglected.

3 Likes

Okay just my answer

I thought you meant to the teacher, not the classroom. I agree that it isn’t ideal. It would need multiple heating elements, it couldn’t be too noisy, it would need high cover, it would be nocturnal so there isn’t much to see, they can be tricky to handle, etc.

2 Likes

I agree 100% with your first paragraph. As for them being a poor choice for a classroom pet, I must disagree respectfully. My wife is a teacher and has had a Leo in her classroom for about 4 years now. She’s not an experienced keeper (she’s has me for help when needed) but she’s managed. She never let’s the children handle the gecko without her, they never get the gecko out of her enclosure (my wife does that for them), and the kids really enjoy the chores associated with the geckos care (ie feeding at the end of the school day, cleaning the water dish and providing fresh water, swapping out the calcium dish, etc). My wife’s Leo is thriving (in 2020 she came home with us during the pandemic).

Personally, I think it comes down to the dedication of the teacher and the enforcement of boundries for the safety of the animal (but that should go for any animal in a classroom environment). Definitely discuss this with the potential teacher and go over proper care. Otherwise, I think they make fine classroom pets who don’t distract the kids from learn, require very minimal care during the day, and can help kids experience something they may not ever get at home.

This is all simply personal opinion (with a bit of experience) and it’s truly a matter of whether the teacher is ready, and willing, to take on the responsibility. My biggest suggestion: take all the information provided here and make the right decision for your Leo in the best interest of their health.

3 Likes

I agree that it could work either way, but it would be tricky with a baby, I personally sometimes have trouble handling my younger geckos and I have some experience with them and can predict them somewhat well. If this were to work I think it would be best to have the baby handled inside the enclosure to avoid falls or escapes. An important note: make sure the room doesn’t get sprayed with chemicals because that would be fatal to the gecko. Also make sure the cage is locked and there is no way outside bugs can be given to it (most people don’t understand the importance of not giving captive animals wild bugs).

4 Likes

Absolutely!! COVID sanitation spray is definitely deadly. That’s why my wife’s gecko came home. Now that they don’t spray, she can go back.

Good thoughts on that front, erie!

1 Like