Reptile Theft

If you don’t declare it then try to make a claim then yes. And I suppose if you called your current company and spring on them that you have a huge snakes collection that would be a red flag for them because you obtained coverage without disclosing a liability risk like that. But easily avoided if someone wants to get a quote.

Get a quote with a different company and get quoted a personal property rider for the collection to see what the cost is or if they are willing to offer coverage at all so you don’t get cancelled by current company.

2 Likes

I don’t remember the exact amounts of coverage but it was excessive enough that big breeders couldn’t afford it.

1 Like

Took me a bit to read this whole thing. Im so sorry you’re going through this.
Hope you get justice soon!
This whole post just makes me wanna microchip my snakes :frowning:

4 Likes

It’s far more affordable for the average pet owner than a breeder. Insuring a few animals vs several hundred, and in some cases several thousand. It’s easy to tally up several hundred thousand in breeding stock and inventory…some clutches can be worth $50-150k.

3 Likes

Maybe just taking it on a select few individuals for some people?

Gotta protect yourself somehow people put too much time and money into their operations to be completely exposed

3 Likes

Hey guys! I want to give everyone a update soon in maybe the next week or so and would like to answer questions you may have! thank you to everyone who supported me during all of this. It truly does mean a lot. So if anyone has a question about the current state of my collection or anything related to that then feel free to ask!

11 Likes

New here so just reading through this. I am interested to hear how your collection is going now and what has happened. Hope to here you got it recovered!

2 Likes

Hope you find them man

3 Likes

I just hope it’s going to be a good news update. Will be looking forward to hear more about it. Also my compliments on how you keep positive and still interested it the forum and hobby, still listening to people’s snake stories and beautiful snake pictures. Must have been hard at times. Just really hope things will turn for the best for you.

5 Likes

Update for everyone as promised! Although it has been a decent amount of time since the theft happened I’m still not where I wish I was but i have to start somewhere so let me introduce my current little trio of breeders.

My 0.2 pastel het clown girls

And a cool little breeder male that is actually the father of my old leopard clown

Here was my old leopard that was the son of the leopard het clown male I currently have.

As far as animals I was able to recover none were ever found and no trail of who could have taken them has been found either. The good news is that I had one breeder female being kept by a friend that will be ready to breed this season. So all in all I currently will be able to get 3 clutches if all of the female go and I’m looking to get 2 more males and females in the coming weeks. I also just want to thank everyone again for the support especially the mods. My faith in this hobby is stronger than ever because even though rubbish things like this can happen there are so many more people who are kind and caring human beings.

26 Likes

I’m really impressed with how you have taken this in your stride and worked towards getting back to where you were. :metal:

Some beautiful snakes, especially the added sentimental value of having the father of your old Leopard.

Make sure you keep us updated as you build the collection back up.

9 Likes

Thank you very much! Yeah having the dad is sort of bitter sweet but I’m overall happy with what I have.

6 Likes

So you should be. You have your head screwed on properly and know what you want to produce. Give it a few breeding seasons and you will be miles past where you were before all of this.

You have also shown your commitment to the hobby. You could have walked away and called it a loss but you know this is what you want to spend your life doing and have came back raring to go :muscle:. It’s not a lot coming from me but I’m proud of you Nathan. Hopefully it shows others in the future that just because you suffered a theft/fire/flood doesn’t mean your dreams and hobby are over, just that you are going to have to come back twice as hard and determined.

Pastel leopard clowns here we come :leopard::clown_face::yum:.

8 Likes

We all at a point or another experience set backs in life (they come in many shapes and/or forms) the important is to never give up and keep moving forward.

Glad this did not make you want to give up on your dream. :+1:

8 Likes

Beautiful ladies and a gentleman! I love that you are able to bounce back and begin again! Congratulations!!

4 Likes

Looks like you have a good start back. Really sucks you haven’t found the original ones stolen. So glad you didn’t give up the hobby.

3 Likes

Took me a bit to read all of this, and while I’ve seen you around a lot the past month I’ve been on here I had no idea this happened to you, and I’m so so sorry. I hope that you can eventually get at least a few of your snakes back, and I will let my family in California know about your situation! Your new snakes are gorgeous, and I’m glad you’ve decided to stay in the hobby.

6 Likes

You should look on craigslist in Portland and Seattle too, because many theives easily move up and down the west coast. Too bad you didn’t have a bushmaster that they tried to grab…

5 Likes

Haha well that would have been the icing on the cake. Makes you wonder though if the person even knew if my snakes were harmless pythons and colubrids. Either way it’s all in the past and the best thing now is to move forward. Hopefully the bigger shows in January like Pamona dont get canceled because that is where I plan to get a decent amount of animals.

4 Likes

Wonder if marking your enclosure with a warning label would deter theft.

3 Likes