Resources to Learn Boa Genetics and Breeding?

Hello! My boss has decided that I should learn Boa genetics and plan pairings for the future. He decided to buy a group of Boas. Luckily, I have a couple of years to research Boa husbandry and breeding and genetics before the snakes can actually start pairing. I work primarily with ball pythons and have no experience with Boas beyond feeding them and spot cleaning the enclosures.

What are the best websites to learn about Boa breeding and genetics? I will of course search the library, but if there are any particular Youtube channels or websites where I can learn Recessive vs Incomplete Dominant traits, I would love to bookmark them and learn. =)

2 Likes

What species are they? I’m assuming boa constrictors. I recommend just looking through the marketplace and trying to learn all of the morphs, what they do, recessive or inc-dom, etc.

Listen to Boa Rack Radio, it’s a great podcast

1 Like

Agreed!
I found it on youtube not to long ago.
Are they still putting out shows though?

Yes, I believe they are Boa Constrictors. Thanks, been lurking on Morph Market already. Was hoping for something like World of Ball Pythons, or a website listing pictures of basemorphs or an IDing facebook group like DMV Ball Python Genetics or a breeder’s youtube channel that provides hints and tips for breeding, like is common in ball pythons.

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

I figured you meant that but I figured I’d mention it since that’s how I learned and understood morphs.

1 Like

Here are a few channels on my YouTube that come to mind

Try Muscle Serpents University, and Jason’s Exotic Reptiles.

I feel like I know a few others, but I’ve blanked.

2 Likes

Definitely recommend both of these

In years past you’d have a treasure trove of great Boa genetic and breeding info available across multiple websites, unfortunately when facebook came along it killed most of them. With that whining done on my part… regarding youtube channels, I agree with Muscle Serpents being a good channel, although it doesn’t have much on the breeding info you may be looking to get. Are the Boas your boss purchased morphs? If so they are likely Boa Imperator (few non Imperator morphs, but there are some, like Occidentalis has a T+ strain, and a motley, Sigma has Leopard, Hypo and anery)

If you can get the info on what you will be working with I am sure many people on here will be able to fill you in on what type of genetic inheritance and good/bad combos you have at your disposal with them.

3 Likes

There’s a lot of good information in Vin Russo’s book, The More Complete Boa Constrictor. It also has tons of fantastic pictures. Here’s a link to it on Amazon, although you may be able to find it cheaper elsewhere. https://www.amazon.com/The-More-Complete-Boa-Constrictor/dp/1938850297/ref=asc_df_1938850297/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=393806041348&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2090954272397960872&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9021565&hvtargid=pla-840410227623&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=81158899385&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=393806041348&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2090954272397960872&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9021565&hvtargid=pla-840410227623

2 Likes

Thanks so much everyone!
We have one that has arrived so far. She is very red and iridescent. The label on her box said she was a leopard. That is all the information that was given to me -_-

3 Likes

If you can, take some photos to share. Good luck with them.

1 Like

Here she is. I apologize, the quarentine room doesn’t have great lighting. I have a picture with flash and without.

2 Likes

Hard to photograph leopards well in my experience. I’d guess she’s possibly a leopard hypo if not just a colorful leopard.

1 Like

The pic is 100% a Hypo Leopard.

Do you have an idea about it’s other genetics? Typically leopard pairings would produce smaller animals, but the patterns would blend well with a ton of other morphs. Even het leopards tend to mess with patterns really well.

Easy one you could do is breed this leopard with a regular motley. You would produce Eclipses (nearly jet black snakes, without the IMG gene).

1 Like

I have no idea. My boss just gave me a list of the boas he bought. I hope he hires a boa person. lol.

4 Likes

Wow that list is nice :exploding_head:
I would want a list that big and high end!

3 Likes

Let me just quit my day job and work for your boss…LOL

That is an INSANE list of valuable animals.

2 Likes

You should see the ball pythons he buys from JKR :sob: I am so happy to work with those snakes.
Boas need a few years to get to breeding size, right?

1 Like