Resources to Learn Boa Genetics and Breeding?

Yeah, to do it properly with the best success rate it’ll take several years. Usually 4 for a female sometimes longer. I have 1 female im growing up that is 5 and it might be more than a year before I get a chance to breed her. You’ll have some people tell you that you can grow them up quicker. Which sometimes works but usually results in the animal dying young and if they produce its often sub optimal results.

2 Likes

Exactly as stated as above. Boa’s are typically a bit “trickier” to breed since you have to get their micro climates just right to trigger brumation and a breeding response.

Males can start breeding at around a year and a half to 2 years. Females are typically ready at around 4 years if fed properly and have good genetics.

Power feeding is not recommended to get them to a good size. They’re very prone to obesity due to their slow metabolisms. BUT I do have a hot take with feeding. I feed my snakes prey that are just slightly bigger than they are thick when young, but once they’re on small rats (or XL mice for true leopards) I reduce to once every 10-14 days. Once my males are on Medium-Large rats (small for leopards) I feed once a month. My whole reason is to get the young snakes out of a “vulnerable” state and make sure they’re lean, with enough body fat to last through breeding and brumation.

1 Like

Also, watch our for lethal gene pairings where babies can come out malformed, kinked, or can have drastically shorter lifespans. Some notable morphs such as the columbian version of the motley gene has a (usually) lethal super form where babies don’t live for more than a few years thought to be because of undeveloped muscles that lead to premature death (but someone please correct me if I’m wrong). There has also not been, to my knowledge, a viable super jungle litter either though I’m not sure why they can’t breed well. Just something to add to the conversation :).

3 Likes

LOL if I’m shopping for a boa and I see “super” I usually stay away.

I was pleasantly (not really) surprised that a male Junglow I purchased a few months back is a possible super jungle in the note that came with him (didn’t list it on MM…) so I have worst case scenario playing in the back of my head when I interact with him…

1 Like

This list is fantastic you could do alot of pairings with them animals. I was thinking what I would like to pair as I was reading through the list lo! this is a pretty high end list.

1 Like

he also basically has the genetics broke down for you in parentheses

1 Like

My YouTube channel is Tice Reptiles. I share my experience with breeding boas. I am still learning! I am in Arizona so my conditions might be drastically different depending on your climate. Awesome group of boas you guys have best of luck!

1 Like

Thanks everyone!
See, I have the list, but all the boas are in unlabeled tubs -_-

1 Like