Safe plants in large bioactive terrarium

Are you talking about animal bedding wood pellets? The ones ive seen were pine. I thought pine was bad

1 Like

The wood pellets I was talking about are BBQ smoking pellets, they are various kinds of hardwood - cherry, apple, mesquite, hickory, blends of all the previous… When they get wet they basically disintegrate into sawdust. When you integrate them into cage media, they provide a food source for things like isopods and springtails, act as a moisture sink, are fantastic for allowing beneficial fungus to establish, and break down into nice compost that enriches the media over time:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Pit-Boss-Apple-20-lb-Wood-Pellets/5013794401

The pine I suggested adding is the stuff they use for orchids:

I know a couple old-schoolers that used it exclusively and never had issues. So… :man_shrugging:t4:

For the purposes I was talking, as a minor component in a much more diverse mix, there is no issue

Look at it this way, do you think snakes in the wild completely avoid long-leaf pine forests???

1 Like

Returning to the talk of plants, though

The pics I promised:

The Hoya I have in my black milk cage. This was a single vine in a 5cm pot when I planted it.
hoya whole
hoya close

The creeping bromeliad I have in the Candoia cage and also my chondro cage:
Whole plant
creeping whole
And all of these are new growth from the past three or four months
creeping close

The rhizoid fern in my Tanimbar cage
fern whole

And a couple close-ups of the rhizome that it spreads by
fern close 1
fern close 2

I will warn that this thing can be a very enthusiastic spreader. I have to cut out 80% of it on an annual basis to keep it under control. It also like to make jailbreak attempts through the vents. Those roots you see on the wall in the last pic are from where this plant anchored itself and grew along the side

And this is my “overflow” cage for the Wandering Jew. Everything you see here is from material that I have just torn out of the other cages and thrown in this cage. I do not plant it or secure it or anything, it just grows and grows and grows

wander

3 Likes